K frame swap

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Ok so I bought a 71 Duster parts car will the v8 K frame out of it fit in my 73 Duster a /6 car.

Also it is a 318 car so a 318 K frame but I am putting a 360 in my car.

Ok, so, 1971 V8 K member into a 1973 car with a 360?

It will fit just fine, but it has the biscuit style mounts instead of the spool mounts.

If you have a front sway bar for the '73, it won't fit with the '71 K. You'd have to get a '67-72 sway bar and move the tabs on the '73 up lower control arms, as the tabs were in a different place for the '67-72 sway bar. If your '73 doesn't have a sway bar then there's no issue, just remember if you ever buy one to get the '67-'72 type and not a '73 up style.

360's have a slightly different engine mount on the driver's side. You can either use some spacers to make a 318 mount work or try to find an original 360 mount. But if you buy a 360 mount, you'll probably find its the same as the 318 mount, as the parts manufacturers seem to only make the 318 type now. There's a couple threads running around on this if you do a search.

bolt it on. get a drivers side engine mount bracket or shim up the 318 mount. you can buy the caliper for a 71 kelsey hayes disc brake from oriellys , they may have to order it.

Well I guess I would weigh in your time, the expense of bringing the other one up to snuff, brakes, bearings, front end parts etc and you will still need motor mounts.

You could pull the V8 k frame and sell it to fund the Schumacher mounts.

Just thinking out loud.

Am I making any sense yet? Brakes, need I say more.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Why do the brakes have anything to do with a k member swap? He's got the 73 up suspension already. Switching to the '71 k frame doesn't change the brakes he can use.

I know there's a few different Idler arms but forget which years have which ones so it may be different but not really a big deal if different.

If you plan to run headers with power steering, don't buy flowmasters. They hit the coupler with the #5 tube dead on.
Do yourself a favour, and buy Doug's or TTI.

I think center link is different too, V8 links have a deeper drop.

Only on the pre '67 cars. '67 to '76 all the centerlink drops are the same. My '74 Duster still has the stock centerlink, it was a /6 car that now has a 318. No issues.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Why do the brakes have anything to do with a k member swap? He's got the 73 up suspension already. Switching to the '71 k frame doesn't change the brakes he can use.

Kid has another thread going about buying calipers, and from what I gathered it was kinda expensive.

IMO he would be money and time ahead to just do the Schumacher upgrade and run with it. The set up he has now is drivable. Pull the engine, upgrade the mounts and drop the 360 in.

-
Back