K/h caliper hanging up.

-

cudacrazy67

Reaction score
Is there any way to free up the caliper and let it release after brakes are applied? I just put them on and bleed the brakes, now it don't want to release the whole way. I hope I don't have to rebuilt this. Please send some advice my way. These are the Kelsey Hayes calipers. Thanks, mike.

If the pistons are binding in the bores, you'll have to rebuild the calipers. If it's something else, like a plugged line or collapsed hose, you can crack the bleeder to release the pressure so the wheel will turn but it will bind up again the next time you apply the brakes. There is always a certain amount or residual pressure holding the pads against the rotors but it shouldn't be tight enough to where the rotor won't turn by hand.

Cracked the bleeder, got fluid, petal went to floor, wheel will not spin yet with bleeder lose

Upgrade to the single pistons versions and you don't have that problem.

Since the set thats been on the same car for the last 27 years and still work like new and don't require the maintance issues of the k/h.

A single piston can seize just as easily as a piston in a 4 piston setup. It's the same seal design.

Ok, guess i'll get involved with this posting too.
From reading the original posters description i get the impression that he "just installed" the brakes.
If that's the case, and didn't rebuild the calipers that may have been sitting for years, then ya, calipers get stuck in their bores.
An initial rebuilding before installation, would have taken care of that problem from the git go.
Another problem that people always seem to overlook in binding, stuck, pistons, is that over decades of use,the pad where it rests on the main body of the caliper housing tends to develop divits and gouges in the casting.
You have to file them flat, all over again for the pad to retract when piston pressure is let off.
Other than that, 4 piston Kelsey Hayes disc brakes work well, and always have.

-
Back