k member rebuild

-

cudaman51

Reaction score
hi its time to re assemble a k member for my 69 cuda. i see mancini has energy suspension kits that look ok to me. any advise on dos or don,ts would be appreciated. thanks

I would like to bump this up to see if any of you guys have also stiffened your K-frames.

I am also getting ready to order parts for my K-frame rebuild and would like to here what and where you bought your parts from?

100_8963.JPG

i guess nothing is as easy as you thought. i just got done sand blasting and por15ing my k member about 10 feet away from a stick welder and i wasn,t smart enough to reweld it and i am a good welder to. just keep living and sometimes learning.maybe by the time i am dead i,l be smart

Thanks much, needsaresto, I will attempt to reproduce what is in those photos.

Cudaman, I feel for you. My dad had a saying that has proved to be true time and again in my case... "too soon old, too late smart."

Firm Feel will rework your K member for you or they'll sell you a kit of reinforcement parts that you can install yourself.

Cudaman,

Can you post a pic of you K-frame? I would like to see how the Por-15 looks on it.

Bob

Funny how a thread just popped up about this.....I was about to start a thread on what I just finished.8)

Here is a k frame that I am putting in my 68 cuda that has been totally reinforced. I can thank my buddy Mark for the beautiful job on the welds. I then painted it satin black. I have freshly blasted/painted LCA's going in as well. Gotta have this all done by Spring Fling....late April.

DSC02906.jpg

DSC02908.jpg

DSC02909.jpg

DSC02911.jpg

DSC02913.jpg

DSC02914.jpg

Sure not trying to hijack this thread, but what are the advantages of reinforcing the k frame?

Sure not trying to hijack this thread, but what are the advantages of reinforcing the k frame?

Oh man you haven't heard? There's tons of advantages! One guy gained 45 HP by just bolting it on! Another one said he can now go around curves now... imagine that .. you can actally go around curves now!

I haven't heard.
I can understand how the stiffening can help with cornering. No way will I accept it increases horsepower, NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!! Guy was inhaling tire smoke!

That looks awesome! Sorry if I seemed to hijack the thread. I had just signed on to start my own thread!! Great way to do the subframes. You'll love it.

i heard the frame conectors ad horsepower to mullinax and the more the marrier red.I did the sub frames on my convertable and said wow the first time i drove it. the body doesnt flex at all.and i really love doing it on the roticery.see i,m out of control cant stop posting pitchers.

P1000147 (Large).jpg

hi its time to re assemble a k member for my 69 cuda. i see mancini has energy suspension kits that look ok to me. any advise on dos or don,ts would be appreciated. thanks
I am assuming that you want to improve the performance of you car, so this is what you can do.
I have just finished 'rebuilding' my K member, and if you have access to a welder it is not too hard to do. First is to box in the open spaces on the front and rear of the steering box mount. 3/32 steel plate will do. This will improve the steering input response. Then weld a 3/32 to 1/8 inch thick washer around the front of the strut rod mount. This will help to reduce K member flex in that area. While your at it machine up new strut rods from 3/4 inch cold rolled steel rod. This will help to stabilize the lower control arm. Then weld all the seams on the K member. Since you have it all apart, box in the lower control arms, and weld a large washer around the hole on the front of the arm were the pivot bolt goes through. Just be careful NOT to weld the washer to the torsion bar adjuster. This will again strengthen the lower control arm where all the load is applied.

-
Back