K member swap 73 to 68

-

etngeorge

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have found a 73 Dart sport with v8 k member. Power steering car. Would I have issues swapping this into my 68 dart /6 w/o power steering. Can I use my current steering box and column? Thanx to all.

Should have mentioned plan is to swap entire front end as this is a disc brake donor car

The K-member swaps right in. But it will only jive with the 73 lowers if you want a sway bar.

Manual steering box and column are OK w/ 73 and newer K. If you keep the early pitman arm on the manual box then the rest of the matching steering linkage must be used also (center link and idler) I don't think the PS pitman fits a manual box. In 73 the pitman arm, center link, and idler changed from the earlier cars. I can't recall which is which but one set-up mounts the center link above the pitman/idler and the other mounts below the pitman/idler.

Thanks Guys- this donor car just turned up not 20 mi. from me. It's a roller w/o front clip and has an 8.25 rear, good glass and quarters. Chebby guy and he wants it out of way. Think I can get it for 500-600 so it might save me some money. Is there a front suspension rebuild kit that you would recommend? I try to avoid the taiwan stuff.

Doing almost the same thing myself, 73 swinger parts into a 69 barracuda. 73 is power steering and I want to keep the manual box. I've been told to order a pitman arm for 69 manual car, all other parts need to be for 73 power car. I hope that's right. I'll find out soon enough...

If your using the 73-up k frame you need to have the 73-up pitman arm for what steering box your using. The 68-72 arms mount to the center link from the bottom and 73-6 mount from the top. I would snatch that car up if you can,it has everything you need minus the driveshaft. The dart sport is 108 wheel base and your dart is 111".

Take the 73 disc brakes too,and the V8 T-bars. To keep your steering box you will have to also keep the arms and the centerlink. The box, the arms, and the link are treated as a set, mostly.
-Yeah the DartSport is actually a Demon in disguise. Now if only they would have kept the original frontend styling on it. I never got used to the beak cars.

-
Back