"K" Members

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
Going from a slant 6 to a small block in a 1967 barracuda, what year K member would be needed? Also, I would be removing the p/s and I don't remember what gear box was used to replace it. Car is rust free and has a/c but is a 6 cylinder car. Is doing a V/8 swap worth the money, effort? Asking price is 16k obo? I have people that are willing to help me with the swap. What do the K member bolts get torque too? I figured that removing the p/s would make the driver side header easier to put on. It's a notchback and I think that they are a cool body style. I know that I said I would avoid the earlier barracuda's, but it's clean. Can a 904 transmission be used with a mild built 360? I figured that since I'd be going to a V/8 why not a 360.

68-72 will work but the 70-72 340 k-member is the most desirable due to bracing in lower control arm area if going with bisque style mounts . Many will use the bisque style if going with solid mounts because of the availabilty of themounts through Moroso. The left side mount bracket is a hard find for 340 360 but can easily be made

The 73-76 are a spool engine mount style and also a good choice if using rubber mounts but the left mount for a 340-360 is very hard to find and not easily duplicated.

All K-members will work from 67-76 but stay away from the 67 k-member due to the undesirable Idler arm.

Since the 67 V8 K member uses the old style tapered shaft idler arm, I would shoot for the 68-72

I figured that since I'd be going to a V/8 why not a 360.
That was my thinking also.
But, if you keep the cylinder pressure up, you will have a preponderance of low-rpm/low-speed power. With a 360, in a streeter, is is easy to get way more power than the stock chassis can handle. The nice thing about that is that you can detune it compared to a 318/340, and let the long stroke make excellent fuel economy, and still have a heckuva fun street car. For a dual purpose street/hiway, the 360 is hard to beat.

Can a 904 transmission be used with a mild built 360
The small TorqueFlite, will be fine at least until you fix your traction issues. But the 7.25 will not take shock-loading, and will not survive one-wheel burnouts for long. If you put a SureGrip in it,with fresh oil, and not fat tires, it should last a couple of years at least

Car is rust free and has a/c but is a 6 cylinder car. Is doing a V/8 swap worth the money, effort? Asking price is 16k obo? I

Rust free is getting harder and harder to find, so that is worth something. Is it worth the asking price? Well only you can answer that. But, by the time you bring it on-line, you will have way more money in the project than you could ever hope to sell it for. So you will be more or less forced to keep it. And that means drive it, maintain it, and keep it from deteriorating; which usually points to a dedicated building. So it will probably be a life-long commitment.
By the 100,000 mile mark; everything will be tired, and some stuff will be worn out. And there may not be parts out there in 10/15/20 years. So for such a commitment, you gotta start stock-piling your own normal-wear parts, right from the beginning.
In the mean time, if somebody T-bones you in a front door, or heaven forbid you run it into a lamp-post, there you are, $30,000 plus a building and parts store, in the hole, and not much to show for it.......... except starting over........ and you are now several years older.
Is it worth a 16G buy-in?
Not to me.

Last edited:
Answering the question, you could keep your power steering — you would just need the pump brackets & hoses for a V8. Or switch to a manual box, same for 6 or 8.

I have a small block Barracuda and a slant Barracuda, and they are both fun to drive. So I'm not sure all the extra work and expense is worth it to swap. Finding a V8 car to start with is probably more cost effective.

Answering the question, you could keep your power steering — you would just need the pump brackets & hoses for a V8. Or switch to a manual box, same for 6 or 8.

I have a small block Barracuda and a slant Barracuda, and they are both fun to drive. So I'm not sure all the extra work and expense is worth it to swap. Finding a V8 car to start with is probably more cost effective.
The swap isn't cost effective what so ever. I like the early barracuda's, but they are pretty much the most expensive A body and they have the lest available replacement parts.

-
Back