K&N air filters

-

Realm412

Reaction score
I've been toying with changing over to one, but wanted some input on the cost. Are they worth it? And do they do what they advertise? My thinking is the lifetime of use makes up for the cost, what do you guys think?

-Thanks

It's all in what you're looking for. If you just want convenience, stick with the 'throw away' filters.
But I believe the oiled, re-usable filters do a much better job of both airflow and filtering. Yeah, they're higher priced. But as with most things, you get what you pay for. It's all a matter of personal choice.

very happy with mine,in most of my vehichles,i just do them all at the same time when i clean and re oil and it's less time than a trip to the store.

It's all in what you're looking for. If you just want convenience, stick with the 'throw away' filters.
But I believe the oiled, re-usable filters do a much better job of both airflow and filtering. Yeah, they're higher priced. But as with most things, you get what you pay for. It's all a matter of personal choice.

I was just checking to make sure it wasn't another overpriced aftermarket part. airflow and filtering > convenience easily.

wanna save money??? of course you do....the summit filters are actually k&n so buy one of those.. If you look at the pictures and compare they are the same

wanna save money??? of course you do....the summit filters are actually k&n so buy one of those.. If you look at the pictures and compare they are the same

Do you know if they are filters that K&N sells to summit? or are they just knockoff that look like k&Ns? Do you use the same recharger kit from K&N to clean them?

I love K&N, I have one on my duster and my harley. Seem to filter very well and flow air nicely. Easy to clean and have a lifetime waranty.

I bought the summit filter and it came with the K&n stickers and was wraped in the K&N plastic

We used to have a saying in the 4x4 community, "Yeah, they keep the rocks out". If you just cruise to a car show or race at the drag strip, they're fine, but if you travel dusty dirt roads, get a paper filter.

Do they reduce intake restriction? Most certainly yes. Do they filter better than paper? Not even close. If they get wet they will swell shut and choke the crap out of your engine and shut it down too.

I know this from my years as a mechanic. You could see the dirt in the intake tract that wouldn't make it through a paper filter. This was on both fuel injected engines as well as carbureted. I had K&N's on one of motorcycles and got caught in a good solid rain. Engine choked hard and killed the engine. I could barely blow back through them. I pulled them off until I got where I headed. Once they dried out they were fine.

For 5hp is it worth it? That's up to you as the consumer. I'd use one on a fair weather street/strip car but never on a daily driver or 4x4.

-
Back