K&n

-

pjc360

Reaction score
Are the k&n filters even worth running? I have been told they flow alot better then paper filters, but i have also been told they let alot more dirt thru then a paper filter as well. I have the stock air cleaner off of a 1970 plymouth roadrunner car with 383 big block 4 speed. It has 2 nozzles to let air or suck air in and other then that it is closed off, i like running this filter housing because the paper filters dont get as dirty as fast as with the aftermarket chrome filter housings that are just out in the open.
I was wondering if it would be worth throwing a k&n filter in the inclosed filter housing that came off the 383. This way it wouldnt get dirty quite as fast and i'm thinking if the k&n truely flows a whole lot better then the paper filters i might see some increase in throttle response? I am currently running the car quest house brand paper filter, i have always been to scared to run a k&n because i paid darn near 4 grand for my engine and i dont want to ruin it.

if a k&n filter is oiled properly it shouldent let any diry through oil is the key

So next question, whats the best flowing paper filter, as far as letting air in? I am currently running the car quest house brand air filter it is a paper filter and it says right on the box made by wix corp. It's the red filer tho not the blue filter, they wanted 18 bucks for the blue air filter in the size i run and 5 bucks for the red, and to me it looked like the red air filter would let more air thru then the blue filter because the paper in the red boxed filter is spread out further then the paper in the blue boxed filter. The paper in the blue boxed filter is rally close together and looks very restrictive as far as flowing air to the engine, as the red boxed filter the paper is spread apart a little further. I dont know if that matters or not but i figured the paper being spread a little further on the cheper red boxed filter meant tht it would suck a little more air vs the blue box filter. both are made by wix tho. and both are paper. I dont like to buy stuff from napa in my local town, the owner is a well i'm sure you know what i was going to say, i do my buissness with the car quest in my town and when i go out of town i shop at orielly auto parts.

-
Back