kb 167 are valve reliefs symetrical

-

Gator77

Reaction score
question .im putting a 318 together .i was wonderin if anyone knows if keith black 167 piston valve reliefs are symetrical.thank u

The valve reliefs in the pistons are symmetrical. On any build you should measure your piston/valve clearance. I typically match bore to piston diameter for select fit. I also have the rotating assembly balanced when replacing major components. 65'

thanks for info .i also have a question about compression rings which one goes in first groove

Doesn't matter unless specified, just make sure the dots at the end gaps are facing upwards. 65'

Many ring packs have different 1st & 2nd. It's not something to be casual about.

OP, what ring set? Are there no instructions in there?

You did understand that you need to position the piston as instructions that I gave link too.
It is not any piston any hole.....

so valve reliefs are not symmetrical.? when i get home ill get part number of ring set

Be careful where you position each piston it matters.
I guess the others never build a 318 w/kb167's...

Be careful where you position each piston it matters.
I guess the others never build a 318 w/kb167's...
You are correct for me..... I checked your link.... same paper as came in the box with some KB pistons here. It shows the assymetrical orientation for 340 pistons, but it also says that some pistons have the same symmetrical valve reliefs and can go in any hole... The 340 KB pistons put in here were symmetrical, despite being listed in this paper as having assymetrical eyebrows, and the pix I linked shows the KB167 with symmetrical eyebrows, so that seemed to settle it. So you are saying your KB167's did not have symmetrical eyebrows?

OP, if you have them, sounds like you should just look to see if the eyebrows are symmetrical; it'll be pretty obvious. If so, then they can go in any hole. If not, then there should be 4 of each flavor (left or right small eyebrow) and follow the link posted by TXDart.

Last edited:
im sure there symetrical i was just checkin for peace of mind.i appreciate info

On the rings.... we can only guess. I hate to say anything without having the manufacturer's info because there have been threads here before where folks have guessed backwards. I can say what I have found to be common but, sho 'nuff, it would be backwards in this case.

-
Back