Keep and reinforce original K member, or go QA1?

-

DrEamer

I suffer from cars on the brain!
Reaction score
As the title ask, thoughts on both options are welcome. My K member on my Challenger has some unsightly cobbling done by the previous owner on the engine perches. I don't think it will affect anything though, but pictures below for reference. Anyway, the the thought is to either get the reinforcement kit from Firm feel, or go with a QA1. As I see it, I own the K frame , and it will cost less then $200 to get the kit, pay my buddy to weld it in, and paint it up. The QA1 frame is $619, and lighter, but not sure the extra $400 is worth it.

20200223_152930.jpg

20200223_152942.jpg

Keep the stock k... the after market one will turn into some kind of head ache when something doesn’t line up or bolt on to it...

Guess it depends on what all your doing to your car. If your keeping it mostly stock then beef up the original K- frame. If your gettin' all silly with it then the QA-1 is a sweet unit. Tons of access and room. Quality stuff. Fit is great. I used one in a Hemi Cuda build.

20170729_113055.jpg

20170729_113042.jpg

When I'm faced with decisions like this, I almost regret it when I choose the cheaper route.
No doubt, you could get along fine with the stock K member after it's repaired/reinforced but most of us will probably keep these cars for a long time. That weight savings and ease of access will benefit you every time you drive and work on the car from here on out...for years or maybe decades. Plus, you don't have to rely on someone else's welding work. Depending on how good of a friend this is, that may be important.

The next time the motor is out of my car, I will be upgrading to the QA1 K-Member. IMO, it's a nice piece of an overall strategy of strengthening and/or weight savings.

20200224_075452.jpg
20200224_075530.jpg
I have QA1 on my 73 Scamp and it was a great fit very easy to bolt in and access to anything under the car is no problem.
Haven't had it on the road yet but am very happy with it so far.

Thanks all for the input. One of my fears was that the QA1 unit was not going to fit, but sounds like it's not an issue. There really is not much of a weight savings at 4 pounds, and this car will be a cruiser more then anything, but some spirited driving to the coast or the Cascades with lots of corners is planned.

i got 3 of the qa1 k members in use. One on a dart...duster and demon....all bolted on with no problems...I love the room in the engine compartment.

i got 3 of the qa1 k members in use. One on a dart...duster and demon....all bolted on with no problems...I love the room in the engine compartment.

Three of them? This is is high praise.
Was the engine bay access the primary reason for using them? How much weight does he QA1 K actually save?

There is not much weight savings. The access in the engine bay is great. Header clearance is great plus can drop oil pan if needed. These are race cars.

-
Back