Keeping It Simple...with a Hemi.

-

sprinter6591

Reaction score
I'm wanting to find out what year of 5.7, 6.1 or 6.3 has the least amount of 'new style' innovations on them, i.e. Variable Valve Timing, MDS - Variable Displacement Technology, VCT - Variable Cam Timing, or anything else not on a 1960s engine. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The '05 and prior truck 5.7 is basic and any 6.1 is basic. IMO, the 6.1 is the best, all around engine for either stock, or to stroke and hop up...

For the most part any pre-09 engine can be made simple. The parts all swap pretty freely. For instance, my 06 5.7 from a 2006 Charger had MDS when I bought it, but you can buy the plugs to disable it and new lifters. The same plugs and lifters are found in the engines without MDS stock, so it's all the same parts. 09 introduced VVT and I think even variable length intake at some point.

The LX (car) 5.7s were MDS right from the start; Challenger 5.7s with manual trans does not have it; truck 5.7s got it in '06; 6.1s never got it.

If its mds I believe there would be 4 solenoids under the intake instead of plugs.

-
Back