Kelsey Hayes calipers

-

rrvolare

19Swinger69
Reaction score
Ready to start my Kelsey hayes 4 piston caliper install on front drum brakes .... can anybody tell me where to get complete calipers rebuilt with brake lines ?
Preferrably steel pistons , stainless steel brake lines ....

You can get calipers from rock auto and lines from In-Line tube. I don't know company that sells them ready to install. You might hear from someone that has a set they have rebuilt that are complete.

Stainless steel brakes rebuilt mine twelve years ago. They sell new ones now, i don't know if they still rebuild them.

I got calipers, rotors, bearings/seals, pads and hoses all for 185.00. Centric makes the calipers and rotors. That price was after caliper cores which was 100.00
hoses, bearings etc can all be had from a parts store

I'm sorry for butting in on your thread as I am no help but back in 1989 I remember having to pay $310 for a set of these calipers right from the Dodge dealer in town when they finally located them for me....Huge bucks considering I was making $3.80/hr at the time changing oil...

I was able to order the calipers from Kragens/O'Reilly/Checker (whatever they are called in your town).

Summit Racing has very nice slotted crossdrilled rotors, BTW, cheaper than the OEM type. I also recommend their brand of ceramic pads. Easier on the rotor than semi-metallic, and they have great bite.

Got my calipers loaded with stock type pads, hardware and hoses from Rock Auto.

Hard Lines and clips from In-Line Tubes.

Got the Rotors that are drilled and slotted with yellow cad finish from Powerstop.

Powerstop no longer offers rotors for the Kelsey-Hayes brakes. I tried to buy some last November, even contacted them directly and was told they were discontinued.

I did get lucky though, and recently found a pair of brand new drilled and slotted SBP rotors right here in the FABO mechanical parts for sale section.

I got calipers, brake hoses and lower ball joints from RockAuto and performance brake pads from Summit. I picked up stainless caliper lines from Inline tube. Their catalog listing is a little confusing, so since I am only about 40 miles from them I went there and they fixed me up with what I needed, no problem. They were good people to deal with, last year I redid my whole car with their stainless lines and was pleased with the end result.

I also needed caliper hose brackets and found some right here. FABO member DavesCuda is reproducing them, and doing a damn good job at it.
Thanks Dave!

Gary

If you get stuck, a member here rebuilds the whole K-H setup and sells them as a sideline. Seach and you will quickly find. He lives near me (Rancho Cordova). His setups are beautiful, but too pricey for my image. The rotors used to cost $$$ and hard to find, until Centric started making them. I bought a set for $22 ea a few years ago for a roll-my-own brake plan on my back-burner.

If you get stuck, a member here rebuilds the whole K-H setup and sells them as a sideline. Seach and you will quickly find. He lives near me (Rancho Cordova). His setups are beautiful, but too pricey for my image. The rotors used to cost $$$ and hard to find, until Centric started making them. I bought a set for $22 ea a few years ago for a roll-my-own brake plan on my back-burner.

I would be that guy. lol
I bought a couple of pairs of those cheap Centric rotors in the past, and gave up on wanting to try and use them anymore.
Had too much trouble in getting them to work right, when my labor time is involved.
Those Centric rotors aren't machined on the center section, outer diameter of the rotor.
They are just the raw casting out of the mold.
I had too many of them have interference with the bottom of the caliper, when everything is bolted up to the spindle.
There isn't much room between the caliper and rotor, and i wasn't about to grind clearance, on rebuilt calipers.
Then some of those rotors aren't drilled on center, then you get a rotor that spins oblong, giving you high and low areas, that gives you even more problems in getting everything working right.
I would recommend the Wagner rotor, even though that brand is made in China too.
They go the extra step in machining the rotor in the outer hub area, so i haven't ran into any fitment issues with the Wagners.
Yes, the Wagner's are more expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Just my two cents worth, on the subject.
Jim V.

Centric isn't exactly known for greatest product. They are one of the few who do offer the K-H Calipers at a decent price point. If you already have them. I have installed 4 sets without issue so far - probably good luck or perhaps they are getting better, Centric does use the lowest bidder so what was, might not be what is and who knows about tomorrow?
I am sure the Wagners have better metallurgy in their rotors aside from the fitment you mention.

-
Back