Kelsey Hayes Disk Swap

-

gonzomn

Reaction score
What all would I need to swap from drums to Kelsey Hayes disks on my 69 GTS?
Looking for a list of everything I'll need.

Thanks,

Off of the top of my head.....Master cylinder, proportioning valve, front hoses, calipers, spindles, splash shields (some people say to leave these off), rotors, hubs, not sure if the bearings are different. Also might need to rework lines to plumb in the prop valve. I think the lower ball joint is also different & might use different mounting bolts.

Easiest way would probably be to get everything from the spindles out from a donor car, as well as maybe the prop valve. I would use new hoses & highly recommend a NEW master cylinder as a lot of people here have reported problems with rebuilt ones. You'll probably need new rotors. I found a set from PartzFinder. Refurbished calipers are available from calipersonline.

Buy a "soup to nuts" kit from either SSBC or Summit.
These use the drum brake spindles and the Mustang rotors, which are much easier to find parts and replace in the future.
They are anywhere from $600 to $800, but you get everything, no piecing it together, and everything fits.
A few on here have done it this way with no issues.
Just my opinion. I actually have the KH set up, and I am not looking forward to replacing the rotors.

I second Matt's sugestion. I installed a set of SSBC last spring. I wanted stock appearance (look similar to stock KH). SSBC rotors are drilled and studded for both 5x4 and 5x4.5, so I could retain my my sbp wheels.

If sbp and stock look are not a priority there are several complete kits available. Wilwood, MP, and others advertised all over. Not sure but I have heard that some kits may change the cars front track (moves the front wheels out slightly "wider stance"). Call the the kit manufacturers before you decide.

I would buy a complete kit. I don't think you will save anything buying parts piecemeal, when you consider time, research, aggravation and rework. All I needed in addition to the SSBC kit was brake fluid and 5 RH lug nuts.

Lastly I almost waited to long to install Disks on my car (due to wanting to retain stock look). I don't care to argue with any any one about this, but with drum brakes and a stock motor these cars are not safe in unpredictable traffic. This is not saying that with a good driver these cars can't stop, They can't stop like today's rollerskates with 4 wheel disks, when the idiot driver slams on the brakes in front of you while he is texting.
Never mind with a modified drivetrain.

Hi Matt, hows it going?

Brian

I did my K-H swap by buying a bunch of parts off a Duster V8, but it still required many trips to the auto parts store to order and purchase all the correct bits and pieces to complete it. A full swap kit would certainly be a lot easier.

Good Brian, hope you are well.
I still plan on paying you a visit in the spring to fully check out your car.
For those who do not know, Brian has a sweet original car- possibly too original- it even has plastic with rubber bands on the rear seatbelts, I'm no expert but it look like it could be how it was shipped from the factory.
He even informed me the replacement trunk mat is not the correct pattern.

Nice ride- can I use it for parts?

"I still plan on paying you a visit in the spring to fully check out your car."

Great than you can help me change the oil and wax it 8)

"For those who do not know, Brian has a sweet original car- possibly too original- it even has plastic with rubber bands on the rear seatbelts, I'm no expert but it look like it could be how it was shipped from the factory."

I'm not sure either but they were like that when the previous owner acquired it

"He even informed me the replacement trunk mat is not the correct pattern. "

The original is in good shape but it is fragile so i have it tucked away

Nice ride- can I use it for parts?
No!!!! but you have given me a case of 383 formula S envy

Matt your memory is waaaayyyyy To good!

Happy holidays

Brian

One more thing to add. I bought the rotors and MC and some hardware from Brakewarehouse when I did the swap. The rotors were reasonably priced pretty good quality. I think they even have drilled rotors as well.

Wow, that second website had an article that`s got a couple things that are just wrong or don`t make sense. First, the B-body rotor/hub assembly cannot be used on the A-body because the A-body spindle is too short. The second thing that is not accurate is that the Mustang rotors would not work unless the outer bearing groove and grease seal are both recut and the rotor turned down in diameter. Who would want to redrill the rotor when most people want the 4.5" bolt circle? That article may have done more harm than good. :scratch:

On my 71 used 73/74 single disk brake still o/e look but 4.5 bbp. req. new lbj,new upper arms and bj,s,reman calipers and new rotors.hoses. the only other thing i ran in to was the sway bar links were longer on the drums than disk links. but if you don,t have a sway bar you won,t have to change them. i did this in 88/89 and could go to the junk yards in fla/ tampa to get parts and with me knowing the parts guys there they rebuild my calipers for me . U.S. brake was there name in ebore city. als

Wow, that second website had an article that`s got a couple things that are just wrong or don`t make sense. First, the B-body rotor/hub assembly cannot be used on the A-body because the A-body spindle is too short.

http://www.enbro.com/cuda/tech/tom_condran/pg05.html

The second thing that is not accurate is that the Mustang rotors would not work unless the outer bearing groove and grease seal are both recut and the rotor turned down in diameter. Who would want to redrill the rotor when most people want the 4.5" bolt circle? That article may have done more harm than good.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/index.php/topic,10095.0.html

The information provided is as accurate as what has already been published. That page will be updated as more accurate information becomes available.

http://www.enbro.com/cuda/tech/tom_condran/pg05.html

http://www.bigblockdart.com/index.php/topic,10095.0.html

The information provided is as accurate as what has already been published. That page will be updated as more accurate information becomes available.

Unfortunately there are things published that are just wrong for one reason or another. I can say from personal experience that the B-body rotor/hub will not work on the A-body spindles, I have tried it after reading a similar article. I found out the hard way. As far as the Mustang rotors, they will work with modifications. I am running a pair on my KH equipped 68 Barracuda. Here`s a link to the thread on it..... http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=20544&highlight=mustang

Thanks for the b-body disc brake update. I've updated the KH upgrade page with more accurate information.

Bravo! That`s the responsible thing to do. Those that would try to do the swap using those rare and expensive B-body unicast rotors will thank you for correcting that erroneous information.

-
Back