Kevko M302 and M301-1 silver, not black?

-

dstemmerman

1972 Dart Swinger Denver
Reaction score
I ordered a M302 pan and M301-1 pickup for my 360 LA. All the advertisement pictures represent the pan to be black and the pickup to be anodized. The pan arrived silver and the pickup grey. Any thoughts on if Kevko changed their painting scheme or if I was sent the wrong pan? They sell an aluminum version of the pan, but it looks different than what I received. See pics below.

pan1.jpg

pan2.jpg

pickup.jpg

Be prepared to rework that pickup. Mine was 1/2" off the bottom of the pan and the mounting bracket didn't line up with the ARP main stud they recommend. As delivered it made the oil pump "pop a wheely", and not sit flat, not even close. I had to cut and extend the tube and cut and re-weld the bracket in the new location. Oh and the nuts for the stud are serrated, so when you remove them (re-fitting this "bolt on" deal) little shards of metal break free so cover everything well.

Now the inside of the pan looks way cleaner and far less to no weld "bb's". My pan as of about 1 year ago was black. My pick up isn't painted, it looks vibratory deburred or bead blasted.

Be prepared to rework that pickup. Mine was 1/2" off the bottom of the pan and the mounting bracket didn't line up with the ARP main stud they recommend. As delivered it made the oil pump "pop a wheely", and not sit flat, not even close. I had to cut and extend the tube and cut and re-weld the bracket in the new location. Oh and the nuts for the stud are serrated, so when you remove them (re-fitting this "bolt on" deal) little shards of metal break free so cover everything well.

Now the inside of the pan looks way cleaner and far less to no weld "bb's". My pan as of about 1 year ago was black. My pick up isn't painted, it looks vibratory deburred or bead blasted.

Thanks Dano! Much appreciated.

See if a magnet sticks to it. That'll answer half the question.
Mine was black a year ago also. no real complaints or fitment issues other than it looks rather post-apocalyptic ;)

See if a magnet sticks to it. That'll answer half the question.
Mine was black a year ago also. no real complaints or fitment issues other than it looks rather post-apocalyptic ;)
I haven't had my coffee yet. I tried the magnet and it did stick. Answers that question. I have an email in to Kevko to see what they say.

Does it appear coated in anything?... that pan may be a nice shade of iron oxide orange in a few weeks.lol

Does it appear coated in anything?... that pan may be a nice shade of iron oxide orange in a few weeks.lol
The weld beads are nice and silver, so there has to be a coating of some sort. My guess is just silver paint.

Called Kevko. They advised they are now plating all their pans unless it is a special order paint color. He told me it should last 10x times longer than paint. Guess we are good.

Plating? So it must be a Zinc or Nickel.

Look it over hard for BB's. We spent over two hours removing and cleaning mine.

-
Back