Kevko Oil Pickup Tab on main cap

-

340sFastback

Reaction score
I bought the Kevko M301 6 quart pan and pickup. Block is at the shop now getting ARP studs and align honed. Should the oil pick up tab go under the main cap nut or should I have a longer stud put in that location and double nut it?

I bought the ARP main stud kit for the stock windage tray (which I won't be using now) so the shop currently has the longer studs installed on #2 and #4 main caps. I am just wondering if I should have the longer studs moved to #3 or not? Its not the best idea to move the studs after line honing so I'd like to get this figured out before he does the final honing. I do prefer to leave the studs on #2 and #4 so I would have the option to run a stock pan and windage tray at a later time if desired.

I havent used that pan... so I cant help with stud position other than to say put the long studs where it makes it easiest... Nothing should be sandwiched between the stud's main nut and the cap. It will change the load on it, and mess up torque readings.

I called Kevko and they said it is intended to be double nutted. They say the people running bolts on their main caps should weld a stud to the end of the bolt for the tab to connect to. I dropped the oil pump and pickup off at the shop so they can move the long stud to the correct cap before final line honing.

I am waiting for a replacement Kevco pan because UPS destroyed mine during shipment. I am probably going to skip the windage tray as well. I suppose just changing that particular bolt to a stud is a bad idea? My welding skills aren't great, I see slag, etc falling into the motor. I guess I could take it out and have someone do it for me. Down the road when I rebuild, I'll change to main studs throughout and have it honed.

Yes, take the bolt out and have someone weld a stud on there. Don't put studs in because they will change the clamping force and will mess up the bearing clearances.

Ok, I have the bolt welded to the main cap. What should the gap be from the pickup to the pan?

With no oil pan gasket mine feel like a tight 1/4". So with the oil pan gasket in place it should be just right.

Had same issues, the ARP stud and or the factory bolt for a windage tray did not work. I can tell you that the pickup tube was very tight in the pump. So I just put some lock tight on it and tightened the hell out of it. There is really no where for it to go even if it did loosen, but I do not think in my case it could ever get loose. But if you did a welded bolk/stud that should be even better...

I'll put some duct seal on the pickup and see what it measures.

I went with the ARP studs that are made to mount a factory windage tray. They were long enough for me to double nut it. But I had to egg out the hole in the bracket quite a bit to get it to fit correctly. And the rods clear nicely with the 4" crank.

-
Back