Key/Lock replacement?

-

JP808

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 1968 Barracuda that has not ran for 28 years, and last week we finally got it started. However over the years all of the keys have been lost and I was wondering if there are any differences between the lock and key assemblies from 1968 to 1969. I thought they were the same from 67-69, but I found the following set on the Year one website and it’s listed as being for a 69 model.
https://www.yearone.com/Product/1966-74-a-b-e-body/cls3
Just want to make sure I don’t get something I won’t be able to use. Also open to any other suggestions as far as vendors ect, thanks.
JP

Take the door panel off of the passenger side door, and remove the lock cylinder from the door. Then take the back seat out and crawl into the trunk with a 1/2 inch socket on a 6" extension and ratchet. Remove the trunk latch, and open the trunk. Then crawl out and remove the trunk lock cylinder from the decklid. Now, take both lock cylinders to a locksmith and get him to make you some new keys. I've done this many times, and it's a lot cheaper than buying new locks. Before somebody asks....I take the passenger door lock out instead of the drivers side because there's less chance of it being worn out, therefore a more accurate key can be made from it. Good luck....and Aloha! :thumbup:

That sounds like good advice, I like cheap!!!
If not check out Classicindustries.com or Laysons I was in Classic today and saw door locks and ignition sets.

new trunk lock is about 12.00 (from any part store) But it is here for 18.
http://www.mrmoparts.net/trunk-locks-66-72-cars/

lock set doors and ignition is 32. plus a little shipping. http://www.mrmoparts.net/ignition-door-locks-66-68-cars/

So 50. plus a little shipping and all locks will be new and with keys. Not sure what a locksmith charges in your area but... going to be hard to beat 50 and change for new stuff. If you do get one to do the other replace the trunk lock they wont re-key it for less than new. Unless he is a friend.

When I replaced all of the locks in my car everything went OK except for the trunk. My lock cylinder fits too close to the trunk lid sheet metal. It doesn't extend far enough to come out flush with the deck lid trim. I've been told that the correct one for my car DOES stick out farther. I had to grind down my trunk key so that I could get it to go in enough. I don't know if you can tell from these pictures what I'm talking about.

View attachment IMG_0256.jpg

View attachment IMG_0257.jpg

View attachment IMG_0258.jpg

When I replaced all of the locks in my car everything went OK except for the trunk. My lock cylinder fits too close to the trunk lid sheet metal. It doesn't extend far enough to come out flush with the deck lid trim. I've been told that the correct one for my car DOES stick out farther. I had to grind down my trunk key so that I could get it to go in enough. I don't know if you can tell from these pictures what I'm talking about.

He won't have that issue on a 1968 since there is no trim on the trunk center.

Take the door panel off of the passenger side door, and remove the lock cylinder from the door. Then take the back seat out and crawl into the trunk with a 1/2 inch socket on a 6" extension and ratchet. Remove the trunk latch, and open the trunk. Then crawl out and remove the trunk lock cylinder from the decklid. Now, take both lock cylinders to a locksmith and get him to make you some new keys. I've done this many times, and it's a lot cheaper than buying new locks. Before somebody asks....I take the passenger door lock out instead of the drivers side because there's less chance of it being worn out, therefore a more accurate key can be made from it. Good luck....and Aloha! :thumbup:

Good point and sometimes the code is stamped on the passenger lock in the 68 era according to my locksmith.

You may find a code on the passenger door lock,it would be an "EP" code. Check the trunk cylinder for an "ES" code. Most locksmiths can cut keys from these codes,I know I can. As far as pricing goes it depends on what the locksmith is charging.You may be better off buying new cylinders,remember these locks are 45-47 years old. They are notorius for failing if you have a shallow cut in the key combination, have seen may of them with this problem and the best solution is new cylinders. If you were near me I would fix you up for no charge,but that is not the case,unfortunately. Good luck.

Thanks guys, I will look into those suggestions!

I tried a few locksmiths here and none had blanks or cared enough to even look at it, I even offered to order the blanks. Oh well I'm sure I just didn't find the right one so I will order what I need and change them out.

Aloha JD! I couldn't crawl into the trunk but was able to open it with a screwdriver on a broom handle lol.

Thanks again all!

-
Back