KH disc to Wilwoood 10" drum spindle kit - which ball joints?

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to change the SSBC/KH style disc brakes on my car to Wilwoods using their 10" drum brake spindle kit, #140-11023.

Can I re-use the existing disc brake ball joints I already have (7023 & 7021) or do I need to get a set of the drum brake-specific ball joints (787 & 785)?

If it matters - to install the caliper bracket on the 10" drum spindle per Wilwood's instructions, you drill the threaded ball joint hole out to 1/2" to accommodate a 1/2"-20 x 3" bolt that goes through the bracket and ball joint from the face of the spindle.

Thanks for any input.

... If it matters - to install the caliper bracket on the 10" drum spindle per Wilwood's instructions, you drill the threaded ball joint hole out to 1/2" to accommodate a 1/2"-20 x 3" bolt that goes through the bracket and ball joint from the face of the spindle. Thanks for any input.

Sounds like you just answered your own question. Just measure the holes on your ball joints. Probably 1/2 inch.

I thought that too but... the disc brake specific ball joints use 9/16" bolts, the drum brake ones use 1/2".

Just wondering if there is an issue using a smaller bolt with a larger hole on a ball joint?

i wouldn't use a smaller bolt in a larger hole.. do as the instructions say. replace the ball joints if need be and drill as instructed.

The spindles are drilled per the instructions, their 1/2"-20 bolt fits nice and snug.

I was unsure of what the issue was with using a different ball joint but I did think it could be about a larger ball joint hole and smaller bolt. I suppose it's swimming around in the hole, you could end up with unwanted movement or at least flex which is bad.

Guess I'm ordering the ridiculously expensive ball joints.

The spindles are drilled per the instructions, their 1/2"-20 bolt fits nice and snug.

I was unsure of what the issue was with using a different ball joint but I did think it could be about a larger ball joint hole and smaller bolt. I suppose it's swimming around in the hole, you could end up with unwanted movement or at least flex which is bad...

That would be least of my worries. I'd be afraid of the bolt deforming and failing the way they are loaded.

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the stupid drum brake ball joints. This is the kind of crap that makes stuff NOT fun.

I thought about drilling out the spindle to 9/16" but once I had the thought, I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and placed the order.

-
Back