KH SBP caliper sticking- best option?

-

SLOPAR72

Reaction score
So close, yet so far away lol..... I have a sticking Caliper. I always replace both at the same time when I do brake work. What is everyone doing about replacing Calipers these days? I see where some are for sale in the Brake Parts but that is cross country and am trying to avoid paying crazy shipping fees. Napa no longer stocks them and Oreilleys and Advance are about 150.00 ea.

Any feedback on what route people are choosing for the replacement parts is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JW

So close, yet so far away lol..... I have a sticking Caliper. I always replace both at the same time when I do brake work. What is everyone doing about replacing Calipers these days? I see where some are for sale in the Brake Parts but that is cross country and am trying to avoid paying crazy shipping fees. Napa no longer stocks them and Oreilleys and Advance are about 150.00 ea.

Any feedback on what route people are choosing for the replacement parts is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JW
I myself pay the pied piper. Hard to compete.

Couple of ideas you can consider. First, you could PM hemi71x, as he has been an invaluable resource for KH 4 piston parts for this forum. He at one time had a series of contacts that could rebuild your calipers, and upgrade to stainless steel sleeves for the piston bores. Also, he sells (or he may be closing out his parts reselling side soon) rebuilt KH calipers and complete setups. His work is highest quality - bar none. He is however located in California so keep in mind that shipping might cost substantial $$$.

See the following For Sale thread = [FOR SALE] - **REBUILT** Kelsey Hayes 4 Piston Disc Brake Calipers 65-72 A Body Cars

Another idea = Rock Auto. Or you could buy the piston seal kits and simply hone the sleeves?

I think your best bet is reaching out to hemi71x via PM and he can give good insight to your best options.

Finally, use the search option in this forum for KH calipers and pay attention to hemi71x posts as well as the posts about caliper rebuilding parts and sources.

Stainless Steel Brake Company got their start rebuilding the K-H calipers w stainless pistons, mostly Mustangs since rusted sticking calipers was a common problem, especially since most owners never flush thru new brake fluid. I recall you can buy stainless pistons alone on rockauto. I use DOT 5 silicone fluid in all my vehicles for no corrosion. I don't have K-H disks (I wish), so can't say. Hemi71x is near me, but I can't justify $900 for his front disk setup, though it is pretty.

SSBC has an aluminium direct bolt on replacement for K-H using the stock rotor, includes pads and hardware. A199-1 /$430 @ summit. dont look the same as stock but should work better and much lighter. I bought their direct replacement a few years ago and they even are the same shape as the iron ones but they dont make them anymore just this new shape. the new ones say SSBC not summit. Oh ya mine are made by SSBC and came in a SSBC box.

front brakes 03.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replys. I ended up purchasing a set from Hemi71X. It is hard to not deal with someone who knows this part of the car and hey I just keep reminding myself that is why I call her the "money pit" lol........

Thanks again,
JW

Stainless Steel Brake Company got their start rebuilding the K-H calipers w stainless pistons, mostly Mustangs since rusted sticking calipers was a common problem, especially since most owners never flush thru new brake fluid. I recall you can buy stainless pistons alone on rockauto. I use DOT 5 silicone fluid in all my vehicles for no corrosion. I don't have K-H disks (I wish), so can't say. Hemi71x is near me, but I can't justify $900 for his front disk setup, though it is pretty.

Brake fluid isn't corrosive in a sealed system. When air and moisture gets in the system is when it will corrode. Thats why they want you to change brake fluid around every 3 years. The silicone fluid doesnt hurt paint but gives a more mushy pedal than conventional brake fluid as its more prone to retain air. Unless the calipers are new there is a good chance they can have issues. The remans are bad about that. More often than not the piston seal gets tore or a hole in it and it gets debris in there and moisture causing rust. Plus the lousy job of the companies rebuilding these calipers and sometimes rebuilding calipers whose bores are scored or sloppy and choosing to rebuild them without correcting the problem or not using that core entirely

Last edited:
too late for you this time but for others or the next time you are in need, just rebuild your
own...it's really quite easy and usually just requires a good cleaning and new o rings and boots.

too late for you this time but for others or the next time you are in need, just rebuild your
own...it's really quite easy and usually just requires a good cleaning and new o rings and boots.

It comes down to a time situation really.... It is easier for me to get a set from someone who knows them inside and out so I can get the car on the road. The set I have now have good lines and are in great condition other than the 1 sticking so I will sell those and recoup some of my money once I get my replacements.... Lord will and the creek don't rise lol....

JW

FYI
Your calipers are in the FEDEX system.
E mailed you at your regular address on the internet.
Jim V.
hemi71x

FYI
Your calipers are in the FEDEX system.
E mailed you at your regular address on the internet.
Jim V.
hemi71x

Wow.... This is why I went with your Calipers.... Thanks Jim and have a Safe Holiday and a Merry Christmas...

JW

-
Back