KH spindles - rusty but still OK?

-
So is that a fault in boot/piston, or with rotor? Asking as I have a set on the to do.list.
Thanks

Hey Steve, I am glad to see the brakes are now on an official "to do" list! :poke: I bought Bendix rotors and Centric dust boots for my KH rebuild, guess I will soon find out if the brand matrimony is a good one.

I learned a "not to do" with Evaporust while I was dipping my KH spindles. I did not have enough Evaporust in my pail to fully submerge my spindles which required me to turn the spindle over after soaking awhile to get it all dunked. After the final soak I noticed "tide" lines where part of the spindle had been exposed to air. At first I thought it was just a little discoloration but examining it more closely I see the Evaporust actually slightly etched my spindle, right where the outer bearing will reside. I did some googling and see this "tide" line is a common phenomenon with Evaporust.

I don't foresee this as a major problem, but I would have preferred that this surface did not have etch lines. I thought I would bring it up so others do not make the same mistake with Evaporust. Just make sure your part in fully submerged. For many parts a small tide line would not be a big deal.

Arrows on the pics below point to the Evaporust "tide" lines on the spindles. These pics are after I cleaned it up a little with emory cloth and steel wool. I can still feel the etch mark with my fingernail. I placed a bearing on the spindle and it seems to go on fine, so apparently no harm.

IMG_0798 - Copyresize.jpg
IMG_0799 - Copyresize.jpg

Last edited:
I am surprised nobody took exception to the characterization "rusty" by an AZ guy. I am sure some of our eastern Canadian or northern Europeans viewers can show photos of what they would term "rusty".

I am surprised nobody took exception to the characterization "rusty" by an AZ guy. I am sure some of our eastern Canadian or northern Europeans viewers can show photos of what they would term "rusty".

Lol, guess I am spoiled! But let me tell you about dust.....

-
Back