Kick-down arm length for 727

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows the kickdown lever length for a 3 piece linkage for smallblock 727? I know the arm at the trans is too long for my setup and I need to know the center to center measurements. The only wayI can get this trans to shift right, I barely have half throttle. I need to shorten the throw of the lever.
Thanks!

Get rid of all that push-me-pull-you Rube Goldberg junk and get a Locar Cable set up.
You will not regret it. Simple to install and adjust, works perfect.

What carb are you running? If it's an aftermarket carb do you have the adapter that corrects the geometry? I have a lever out in the garage and can measure the c-t-c but if you don't have the correct setup at the carb it still won't work right, unless you have the room to re-drill the hole in the lever

I have the adaptor on the holley. Its a new trans built very stoutly. Shifts the same way old one did unless I adjust out the rods. I read in a book that Chrysler made several different ratio arms depending on application. I think I have the extremely lo-po one. Thanks!

Far as I know there were only 2 different length arms on the outside of the TF trans.
Lokar cable is the best answer.

The trans was built with the 5.0/1 lever and my throttle linkage is Holley p/n 20-7. I can cut my arm and weld it back if needed. Not ready to try and get a Lokar cable yet. I still want to try and get what I have on the car working as best I can first. If not, then the cable will be ordered.
Thanks!

The trans was built with the 5.0/1 lever and my throttle linkage is Holley p/n 20-7. I can cut my arm and weld it back if needed. Not ready to try and get a Lokar cable yet. I still want to try and get what I have on the car working as best I can first. If not, then the cable will be ordered.
Thanks!

As Oldkimmer said that's the internal band that operates the front band. Has absolutely nothing to do with the lever on the outside.

Basically you want the lever on the trans c-t-c length be the same as the carb. That way things are moving 1-1 ratio

As for the length on the linkage lever. I've only seen 2 used. The one used on all cars and one used on some trucks/RV's

Yes, the P/O pulled the motor and trans from a motorhome and put it in the Dart. Its a long lever and thats why I need to shorten it. Thats why I need the measurements for the shorter one for the 3 piece linkage.
Thanks!

Yes, the P/O pulled the motor and trans from a motorhome and put it in the Dart. Its a long lever and thats why I need to shorten it. Thats why I need the measurements for the shorter one for the 3 piece linkage.
Thanks!

Gotcha. Sorry, I forgot to measure it today. I got it on the to-do list for tomorrow. Will post back tomorrow

It wasn't easy getting a super accurate measurement since it's on the trans. in the car but it looks like it's right at 1.5" center to center.

-
Back