Kick down question

-

mrtires24

Reaction score
I have a 1975 cordoba hit to pass car and I have a kick down linkage question.

In the past I have driven ford and Chevy. On Chevy's everyone removes the kick down linkage. We drive on a 1/4 mile circle track and I manually put the car in first gear and rarely shift into second.

My question is.....I removed the kick down linkage from this car. And I have not driven it on the track yet. If I leave the kick down linkage off, and manually shift between first and second, will the tranny perform right.

Or will I have to pin the kick down lever on the tranny forward or backwards? I changed my carb, so kick down linkage won't work.

All my good cars are 4 spd cars, so I have nothing to look at, or compare.

Thanks.
Phil.
P.s. click the link to see the car
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/s/?view=att&th=137875d9badee92f&attid=0.1&disp=attd&safe=1&zw

Mine works fine without it 340/727 combo all stock trans

the kicklinkage on a mopar is not name correctly...it is throttle pressre linkage...as you step on the gas...carb linkage move back...move TPL back...which increase line pressure to the transmission...(clutch pac and servos).....no linkage no increase in pressure ..which burns up trans...

you can wire the linkage back...the might help....better to get manual valve body...

Mine works fine without it 340/727 combo all stock trans

Guarantee you it won't for long. Like Tony said it's not really a kickdown as much as it is a variable pressure relief. Without it the clutch packs and band servo's won't get full pressure when they need it which will toast a torqueflite real fast.

Tying it back towards the rear of the car would do it, but you're going to have a REAL late and hard shifts in automatic mode with it tied back all the way.
You might want to try half way back and see how it does.
The full auto shifts will still be pretty late (As in 1-2 shift at 25mph or higher at low speeds, and little too early at higher speeds)

I am a part of a derby forum as well, and asked the same question, and one guy said for derbies he ties it 2/3 back, but he's not sure of circle track.

I will try and get it to 2/3 back, I think it would be better than forwards, and all the way back might be too much.

Any other advice would be great.

Phil

Guarantee you it won't for long. Like Tony said it's not really a kickdown as much as it is a variable pressure relief. Without it the clutch packs and band servo's won't get full pressure when they need it which will toast a torqueflite real fast.
the trans is only temporary til i can get an 833

-
Back