Kick panel speakers

-

Robj

Reaction score
I was looking to put some kick panel speakers in an extra set of panels I have and was wondering what speakers some people have used and how you mounted them. I took the driver side panel off and the sheet metal behind the panel is flush with no useful indentations. I measured the spacer leg that the mounting screw goes through and it's 1" long so it looks like I only have a depth of 1" for the magnet. Of all the speakers I've looked at the shallowest was 1 5/8" deep. I'd love to hear some solutions- thanks.

So is that a special reproduction kick panel that is raised out to give more room behind for the magnet?

I'm using 31/2 " Kickers . Made my own mounts. Work very well.

Attachments

• 011 (640x480).jpg
    130 KB · Views: 639
I made a temporary fix to add 6.5's to my panels till I got a new set to mold off of. This makes it so only two small holes go in the actual panel, and sets the speakers under the dash. Very temp looking, but effective. It's just two ABS rings i manufactrued with a lip.

The Pioneer 5 1/4 and 6 1/2 from walmart sound pretty good, and are relatively shallow. I found a pair at a pawn shop for $9.

I found out they have fabric surrounds (so they don't rot away), have a fairly good freq response, decent size magnet and fair to good power handling. It's almost a perfect fit depth wise in my B body (right now the kick panels are out and they're just being held by the magnets on the hinge bracket!), but I wish I had found the 6 1/2, as I think I wouldn't need to fab a bracket for those.

I did see plastic molded kick panels that were already formed so the speaker would face you and give space for the magnet behind the speaker. I can't find them for life of me! Urgh!
Speakers need to be enclosed for proper sound, however considering my one speaker system I don't think they were to concerned about that in the 70's :)

I did see plastic molded kick panels that were already formed so the speaker would face you and give space for the magnet behind the speaker. I can't find them for life of me! Urgh!
Speakers need to be enclosed for proper sound, however considering my one speaker system I don't think they were to concerned about that in the 70's :)

Year One has those. I have plenty the bump in the trunk so all I have in the front is 2 tiny tweeters dangling from there wires routed over the top of the kick panels. I've always used the fader to move most of the sound to the rear speakers anyway. Different strokes :)

-
Back