Kickdown adjustment with Lokar cables

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
I was sitting here thinking and wondering about the aftermarket cables and if they are not adjusted correctly how the car acts. I did some quick research and went to Lokars website and downloaded the instructions for the 727/904 cable installation. That was saying to have the car at WOT and pull the kickdown tight, then tighten down the cable stop.

So with that being said. Im sure each tranny is a bit different but.... What if the cable is only pulling the lever half way and there is slack in the cable at idle? How would the car react when driving it? Would it shift properly? Would the car be doggish? Just curious as to your thoughts with not having the kickdown properly set up.

Tony, I read thru that and checked out your pictures. Mine is set up different than that and seems to be working properly. I have tension on mine and dont have that 1/16th gap. Mine is pulled fully open at WOT, if I had that gap on mine it wouldnt be pulled all but a 1/4to 1/2 of the way open.

That is why I was wondering how the car would respond with out the cable properly adjusted.

best way I found is to find the point at which the trans will shift to 3rd at about 25mph. This gives a little higher 1-2 shift and applies more line pressure under light throttle. The trick then is to "Adjust" your pull so that the cable is only pulled until the throttle lever is all the way forward at WOT. (not so tight it is fighting you throttle pedal). I had to move my pivot point closer to the center of the throttle shaft. Takes some patients but if you want some pop when shifting this works well. With our setup we NEEDED line pressure early as the car has a low stall and plenty of TQ.

That is why I was wondering how the car would respond with out the cable properly adjusted.

cable too loose the car will be in third gear in like 30 feet.

cable too tight then the car may not shift or shift at too high of a rpm..

some guys say that they needed to drill a new hole in the lever on the trans. i've never found that i have needed to do that.. i have always used a stock abody lever. it looks shorter than b or ebody cars so maybe thats th edifference..

Sorry I wasn't clear about changing the pivot point. I modified a Edlebrock throttle lever adaptor at the carb end of the cable. I did NOT modify the throttle lever on the transmission. MY bad.

cable too loose the car will be in third gear in like 30 feet.

cable too tight then the car may not shift or shift at too high of a rpm..

Thats what I was curious about. Thank you

I do have slightly higher shift points in my car, I may play with this a little bit and find a better spot.

-
Back