Kickdown cable recommendations?

-

Sweetjones

Reaction score
I have a 75 duster with 727 auto trans behind a mildly built 340. I have the transmission out of the car and it is being rebuilt. It had the original linkage style kick down on it and I was wanting to know if anyone has any recommendation for a cable style kickdown linkage. It has a edelbrock air gap intake and I also plan on running a 1in carb spacer in the future. Any help would be appreciated

Lokar KD-2727HT - buddy has one on his 400 with a 1 inch spacer, 3/4 ton...its trim to fit, he loved it.

Got KD-2904HT for my Duster(LA/904) when i get to it

Lokar sh*t is pricey, you should be able to adapt one off of a Dakota. If I had it to do over again, that's what I'd do.

Lokar is exspensive but you get what you pay for. Mine works so well that the price doesnt matter when there perfect.

Nothing a manual valve body wont cure....:mrgreen:.

Like some others, i think the Lokar is probably your best bet.

I like my Lokar system. Had the old linkage off and new system installed and adjusted in less than 2 hrs. Yeah it might have been just a little pricey but it works great and you don't have to spend a day crawling around a muddy junkyard locating a Dakota/Ram cable then another day making adapters for it to work right. Wouldn't surprise me to see a junkyard charge nearly half the price of a Lokar system for an old 1/2 used up cable off a Dak/Ram. An aftermarket setup like it sure cleans up the looks of the engine bay if you ask me. JMHO

Attachments

• lokar pic1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 723
If your gonna be low buck then look on ebay they have the chinese knock off versions of the lokar set up.

With Apologies to Sweets for hijacking his thread.

There is no doubt the Lokar system is the best looking and functional cable out there. That's probably why there aren't more of them on the market. The cheap eBay knockoffs are just that, cheap, not low buck.

The Bouchillon kit is nice too but more than the Lokar setup at $127.00.

The Dakota cable is a good option, and yes, getting a good one, getting all the brackets and getting it installed easily is the trick. Having said that for the cost and a little extra work it should provide the solution others and myself are looking for. Especially for those of us who don't read installation instructions anyway.:D

I'm pretty good at fabricating brackets and such so I really don't need a kit to add something new or upgrade my car and if I can have a quality item with out breaking the bank then all the better.

Thanks for all the input, always good info and opinions here! :cheers:

I ran a Lokar setup with my 904 and then again when I got my 2004r. I was just looking for the "easy" option, but to be honest I wasn't overly impressed with either for the price. I'm not fond at all with the plastic piece they use to attach the cable to the carb linkage. So cheap for a $70 kit, imo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Mo...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6d5f40bb&vxp=mtr

It says it's for a 727, and Lokar has different part numbers for each trans, but I don't know what the differences could be. I do know that I took the Lokar cable from my 904 and installed it on my buddies 727 without any issues though. Knowing what I know now I would have no problems giving the ebay kit a shot.

My apologies to Sweets for hijacking his thread as well. This is one topic I have been thinking about lately. I have roughly the same set up as sweets... a 360/727 combo but we are going with a b&m cable operated ratchet shifter. The adapter stuff for the cable fits on the transmission.

We will be able to put the trans in "d" and just drive it or is this a case where a kick down linkage will not work ?

Thanks
Ian.

The shift linkage/cable has nothing to do with the kickdown. Here's the Lokar instructions that come with the kit. If you look you'll see that the cable bracket attaches to a existing bolt in the rear of the trans case and wraps around.

[ame]http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/lok-kd-2727htkd-2904htkd-2518htc.pdf[/ame]

UOP....attached is a link to the b&m install instructions.

You will notice that I have a bracket and a lever already installed on the transmission leaver that the Lokar wants to use..

[ame]http://bmracing.com/wp-bnmcont/uploads/10497.pdf[/ame]

ian.

I ran a Lokar setup with my 904 and then again when I got my 2004r. I was just looking for the "easy" option, but to be honest I wasn't overly impressed with either for the price. I'm not fond at all with the plastic piece they use to attach the cable to the carb linkage. So cheap for a $70 kit, imo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Mo...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6d5f40bb&vxp=mtr

It says it's for a 727, and Lokar has different part numbers for each trans, but I don't know what the differences could be. I do know that I took the Lokar cable from my 904 and installed it on my buddies 727 without any issues though. Knowing what I know now I would have no problems giving the ebay kit a shot.

So Lokar is using a plastic adapter to hook the cable to the carb now? Mine is aluminum, but I bought it 3-4 yrs. ago, maybe they've changed? Even yet plastic (or variations of such) are used in all sorts of industrial applications nowadays. "Regular" plastic like we had in the early days that was cheap and brittle or spongy is pretty much a thing of the past. Have you seen any of these Lokar plastic levers break?

That's strange there's different part #'s for a 904 and 727. They use the same valve body. There's a few different length levers on different applications so maybe that has something to do with it??

I highly recommend not buying anything from "Abad71camaro" on e-bay. In spite of anything they say they sell very cheap off shore garbage and if you have an issue they won't answer you. One of their recent negative feedbacks is from me. If they would have just answered my response to the junk part they sold me and tried to make it good they might not have received a negative but my e-mails fell on deaf ears. Just click on their negative feedbacks and read some of the replies and you'll see what I mean.

UOP....attached is a link to the b&m install instructions.

You will notice that I have a bracket and a lever already installed on the transmission leaver that the Lokar wants to use..

http://bmracing.com/wp-bnmcont/uploads/10497.pdf

ian.

The shifter bracket and kickdown bracket are not the same bracket nor are they installed on the same shaft. The lever and bracket shown in the B&M instructions is for the shifter only. The kickdown lever that the Lokar cable attaches to installs above the shifter bracket on the smaller protruding shaft. Look at the link UOP posted and you'll see their not the same

Went Ricky's way.Posted:" Nothing a manual valve body wont cure.....".
Absolutely the way I went. Cheetah R.M.V.B..Not driving it daily.

The shifter bracket and kickdown bracket are not the same bracket nor are they installed on the same shaft. The lever and bracket shown in the B&M instructions is for the shifter only. The kickdown lever that the Lokar cable attaches to installs above the shifter bracket on the smaller protruding shaft. Look at the link UOP posted and you'll see their not the same

I thought they were on the same shaft.

What are the consequences of not installing one ? The trans doesn't drop a gear when the pedal is mashed in 3rd ?

Thanx
ian.

I thought they were on the same shaft.

What are the consequences of not installing one ? The trans doesn't drop a gear when the pedal is mashed in 3rd ?

Thanx
ian.
You will smoke the trans! The Torqueflites need to have the kickdown/ throttle pressure cables hooked up otherwise they fail rather quickly. Unless you use a full manual VB like some guys suggested. Then you don't use the throtle pressure cable/linkage.

-
Back