Kickdown Carb Rod

-

ratty dart 340

Reaction score
Hey there, been driving my dart around and now its time for working kickdown. I know there are many forums on here about this, however I am simply looking for the peice. I can't find it anywhere. All that my kickdown is missing is the carb rod that connects the carb to the rest of the linkage. I have a holley 670 on a LA 360 with a 727.

I have seen some universal rods but I would rather find the correct one, or make my own.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post a photo(s) of your configuration for the best diagnosis.

IMG_0309.PNG

Just missing the connector rod.

Hey there, been driving my dart around and now its time for working kickdown. I know there are many forums on here about this, however I am simply looking for the peice. I can't find it anywhere. All that my kickdown is missing is the carb rod that connects the carb to the rest of the linkage. I have a holley 670 on a LA 360 with a 727.

I have seen some universal rods but I would rather find the correct one, or make my own.

Any help would be appreciated.
For the Holley you're also going to need this bracket and the stud.

1712599572666.png

Please remember, it is not technically a kickdown rod. it is the throttle pressure rod and without it, you are driving the car with line pressure set at idle. This is terribly tough on the internals.

Please remember, it is not technically a kickdown rod. it is the throttle pressure rod and without it, you are driving the car with line pressure set at idle. This is terribly tough on the internals.
Even if you manually shift? I have heard that it is okay especially if you don’t actually punch the throttle. Maybe this is just wrong.

Even if you manually shift? I have heard that it is okay especially if you don’t actually punch the throttle. Maybe this is just wrong.
Okay nevermind this makes sense to me now. I maybe drove it a mile without the throttle pressure rod. I still can’t seem to find the correct one, and don’t want to buy a complete Kickdown setup.

Any ideas?

Okay nevermind this makes sense to me now. I maybe drove it a mile without the throttle pressure rod. I still can’t seem to find the correct one, and don’t want to buy a complete Kickdown setup.

Any ideas?
You can use the two barrel Rod which is a lot less expensive than the four barrel, go to Ace Hardware or Tractor Supply get a piece of thread all and a barrel nut you're all set. You're basically extending the two barrel Rod by this amount roughly an inch or so . That will give you the adjustment range for your transmission to work correctly .
20240409_180515.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, wrong. You could have already damaged your transmission. 3rd. gear is the first one to start slipping.

Yes, wrong. You could have already damaged your transmission. 3rd. gear is the first one to start slipping.
Interesting. Well, I got it into third on the drive home and it shifted great. But I won’t drive it any more until correctly setting up Kickdown.
Thank you

Interesting. Well, I got it into third on the drive home and it shifted great. But I won’t drive it any more until correctly setting up Kickdown.
Thank you
Yes, don't. It doesn't take too long do do damage.

Thank yo

Post a want ad for 2 or 4 barrel and see what kind or responses you get then go from there!

Post a better shot of your set up. Let me see if I have some spare parts on the basement shelves.

What year are your other parts? That part you circled is very specific and if your others are way off, it may not work. And if they are 2 barrel parts installed, it will be wrong. You need to be sure you have the four barrel bracket on the valve body component that sticks out of the case. :):)

What year are your other parts? That part you circled is very specific and if your others are way off, it may not work. And if they are 2 barrel parts installed, it will be wrong. You need to be sure you have the four barrel bracket on the valve body component that sticks out of the case. :):)
Kickdown

Currently I have a 1971 360 with aftermarket airgap intake, with a holley 670 street avenger, as well as a 727 tranny. (car is a 73 dart sport)

From the tranny to the throttle rod is what the car came with when i purchased it(could be incorrect), however My setup is exactly as pictured from the link minus the throttle rod.

Furthermore, the link states

"A/T kickdown linkage kit for 1967-1974 A -body models with 318/340/360 4bbl engine, 727 A/T, and Carter AFB or AVS 4-bbl carburetor."

This says A body with 360, 727 and 4 barrel(which is what I have)

Therefore I'm inclined to believe that that part circled is what I need.

Yes but you likely have two barrel parts on it. Two barrel parts may not interchange with that four barrel top rod they show. If you buy it all, you are ok but it is hard to mix and match throttle pressure parts from various years and engine combinations. Does that make sense? Sorry if not.

Yes but you likely have two barrel parts on it. Two barrel parts may not interchange with that four barrel top rod they show. If you buy it all, you are ok but it is hard to mix and match throttle pressure parts from various years and engine combinations. Does that make sense? Sorry if not.
First off, I appreciate the timely responses.

Secondly, I am unsure what "parts" could be from a two barrel. Are you referring to the pivots and other rods?

It was a factory 340 car and according to that link, My parts should be correct for my application.

If it was a factory 340 car, it should be correct IF it has the right lever on the valve body.. Please measure it from its pivot to the center when the rod drops in it. That will tell you if it still has the 4 barrel one or a 2 barrel one.

If it was a factory 340 car, it should be correct IF it has the right lever on the valve body.. Please measure it from its pivot to the center when the rod drops in it. That will tell you if it still has the 4 barrel one or a 2 barrel one.
Okay and if that checks out, am I correct in saying I need the piece I have circled, in addition to the holley extension?

For sure the Holley bracket is needed and you may have to raise the manifold bracket to allow for the extra height caused by the Air Gap. We run the same setup on my brother in laws car and in fact, one of the images in my book is it.

Here is the four barrel lever and the two barrel lever and the only rods I have left

IMG_0326 Large.jpeg

-
Back