Kickdown isn't working

-

Robj

Reaction score
'70 Dart, 318/904, three piece kickdown linkage

I couldn't feel 2nd to 3rd and my kickdown was not working.

I've adjusted the linkage to the factory manual. It already seemed to be pretty much there other then bringing the rod out a couple turns. Full throttle brings the kickdown linkage all the way back with no slack.

I can feel all the shifts now but I still have no kickdown unless I downshift it manually to 2nd.

I don't see an adjustment in the manual on any of the linkage down by the tranny. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Throttle travel you can get by hand may be more than the throttle travel you can get with the pedal. Just a guess based on similar threads.

I've read some guys who have adjusted it by moving it a bit and then driving and going back and forth as opposed to setting it up as the manual states. I guess I can put a few more twists on the rod and take it for a drive.

Put four twists on the rod and the kickdown is coming back. The shift to third is way better.

Yep, there is slack, in the linkage. Adjust until it shifts hard, then have fun. The rod puts more line pressure to the clutches/bands. It also raises shift rpm. As far as kickdown, that should solve it.

At some point you might still need to have a look at your throttle cable adjustment.
A service manual doesn't consider changes like different intake or carb installed.
If you have changed things the throttle cable should get wide open throttle first, then on to the throttle pressure linkage.

At some point you might still need to have a look at your throttle cable adjustment.
A service manual doesn't consider changes like different intake or carb installed.
If you have changed things the throttle cable should get wide open throttle first, then on to the throttle pressure linkage.

I addressed that with my first adjustment. Thanks.

-
Back