kickdown issues

-

Realm412

Reaction score
Okay, so I switched out my old 1bbl carter and upgraded to a super six intake and clifford 3 into 1 headers. Along the conversion, I didn't have the actual kickdown linkage and the mechanic used a lokar cable. We also had to swap out the original gas pedal with a newer cable style.

Anyway, after this is all said and done I no longer have kickdown/passing gear. If i tighten the kickdown cable I can get it to kickdown into passing gear but it shifts late as a result. It will hold 1st gear way to long. so the current comprimise is just to have it shift correctly but not have passing gear.

Is there a way to have both? Considering that's how it is supposed to be? I had a similar problem about a year ago, after having transmission work done and a couple of adjustments later everything worked fine, granted that was with factory linkage.

I've never used lokar stuff. I actually tracked down all original stuff to avoid having after market headaches. What I do know is, If you are driving your car with the kick down not working correctly, It will totally F up your transmission. Get it working properly so you dont screw up your trans. Try posting something like"anyone have experience with lokar kick downs??" Or something like that.

I had a problem similar to yours when i switched over to a Edelbrock and Lokar cable setup on my '64. it ended up being the detent/kickdown lever. I had to elongate the hole so I could move the stud a little either way until I found the correct position. also did you put a light spring on the lever at the trans. so it pulls it back when you let off the throttle?

Here is an image of my throttle/kickdown linkage. The spring in front is a return spring. not sure if that is what you meant though cam64, do i need another spring somewhere?

throttle_linkage.jpg

I think that patience will pay off in this case. Adjust , drive, adjust, drive and repeat until the shift points are correct for throttle position.

I had some trouble setting mine the way it "felt" right when I did the bbd swap and I had the factory linkage. A little goes a long way.
Just a hair too far forward will give you the no down shift condition. The total distance between no downshift and late upshift was only about 1/8 inch on my 904. I even had to tweak the bar to get the adjustment where it was correct.
I'd suggest to err on the side of late upshift then work your way to the proper position , cudadude is right on ...no downshift is a trans killer in short order.

Don't quote me on this but I think the factory adjustment procedure is to:
1. verify the throttle is completely closed when the pedal is released.
2. push the kickdown lever on the trans all the way forward and tighten.

your going to want to put a spring setup on the lever at the trans. with a cable setup it will slack and the lever won't return all the way forward. i drilled a small hole on the lever then with a light spring attached to it i anchored the other end to the ear off the side of the bellhousing. the factory linkage would push and pull but you have to remember a cable can only pull. think of it like your carb. without a return spring. i really think you have the exact same problem i was having, you have to think of the two levers (the one at the carburetor and the one at the trans.) like two different size pulleys. different sizes will change how far or fast the other one moves. a little fabrication will get you going where you need to be.

ok. so i haven't gotten to this correction, yet but, would this affect throttle sluggishness at all? As in, I stomp the accelerator and it bogs out. or is this purely a carb issue?

not the first part of my post but for sure the second part. there are a couple of different length trans. kickdown levers you can try if your not sure about grinding yours. if you can get the trans. to kickdown by shortening the cable then you know for sure that is your problem.

Good advise to know,I swapped a 6 cyl. to 360 in my 66 Dart and I,m useing a 72 Duster gas peddle and throttle cable.My kickdown is also the Lokar cable and am hopeing to be doing these adjustments this week(laid off for 1 week)just enough time to finish up this ummm swap!Sorry to jump in,but this is important stuff for me and my project.Thanks

im having an issue also..i have a 4bbl and a lokar linkage..my issue is that it goes through the gears ok ,but when my speed drops down to about 40mph it drops back into second...its a little uncomfortable.

-
Back