Kickdown problems

-

khaley71

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm working on my 74 with 360/727 combination. My question is the kickdown linkage. When I got the car the motor and trans were missing. The 360 is 74. The intake is from a 71 340. The thermoquad is a correct 1974 carb #6454. The 727 is from a 1978 Dodge truck and has been rebuilt. I have adjusted the kickdown linkage per the FSM, it doesn't look correct at the carb. I pulled the kickdown linkage from carb to trans off of a 1974 Challenger with a 360 in it. Does this look right or am I missing something?

IMG_7020.JPG

As long as its not restricting the carb from going fully WOT, it looks fine.
if you're not sure about that, hold the pedal to the floor and have a looksy

I did as you suggested. Pedal moves fine, no binding or hanging up. Just wasn't sure about the angle of the arm. Thanks for the help.

As long as its not restricting the carb from going fully WOT, it looks fine.
if you're not sure about that, hold the pedal to the floor and have a looksy

I'm working on my 74 with 360/727 combination. My question is the kickdown linkage. When I got the car the motor and trans were missing. The 360 is 74. The intake is from a 71 340. The thermoquad is a correct 1974 carb #6454. The 727 is from a 1978 Dodge truck and has been rebuilt. I have adjusted the kickdown linkage per the FSM, it doesn't look correct at the carb. I pulled the kickdown linkage from carb to trans off of a 1974 Challenger with a 360 in it. Does this look right or am I missing something?

View attachment 1715064850
it's missing the washer and hairpin clip on the connector arm to the kick down bracket. I might be able to tell more if you had pictures from above and from the front.
BTW, good looking tq. the plating on the linkage still looks good.

View attachment 1715064850
oh, yeah. just noticed the 's'-link on the accelerator pump is on backwards.

Looks like it will work. As long as you can go WOT and the linkage is pushing the arm back on the trans, it should be GTG.

Might I suggest a dual throttle return spring? Spring in a spring, one breaks you have backup.

Thanks I just wasn't sure and didn't want to cook my trans. Thanks for the the dual throttle spring suggestion, I have one ordered.

Looks like it will work. As long as you can go WOT and the linkage is pushing the arm back on the trans, it should be GTG.

Might I suggest a dual throttle return spring? Spring in a spring, one breaks you have backup.

I'll post a picture from above tomorrow.
Just closed up for the night. Thanks for pointing the washer and clip out. I did know they were missing, actually lost the dang things. Thanks a lot but I can't take credit for my TQ looking good. My TQ was rebuilt by Harms. That's why it looks so good lol. I'll look into the s hook being backwards. Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated.

it's missing the washer and hairpin clip on the connector arm to the kick down bracket. I might be able to tell more if you had pictures from above and from the front.
BTW, good looking tq. the plating on the linkage still looks good.

I'm sure as you know once you get running there will be likely adjustments to be made to make the shift as you like it. I would think at wide open throttle is exactly where that would be at Max pull on throttle pressure lever. I can't imagine being at wide open throttle and not wanting Max throttle pressure.

As I understand it there's probably 15 different ways that those linkages can go together on all kinds of different situations. Each one has its own geometry and its own amount of throw. I seriously don't believe this stuff is interchangeable. Most people will at this point just settle for an after-market cable if there isn't a necessity for the "OE" look.

There should be an adjustment at the bottom of the linkage underneath... You need to adjust it so it is bottomed out on the trans at wide open throttle... Get a helper to press the gas pedal while you go under and check the adjustment...

Also your vacuum nipple for the power brake port is open... You should put the hose on for the power brakes or block it off with a cap, otherwise you will have a large vacuum leak and it will run rough...

IMG_7020 b.jpg

-
Back