Kickdown with transgo tf3

-

Stewie1977

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm sure somebody would have asked this before but for the life of me I can't find an answer anywhere. I'm installing a Transgo TF-3 full manual shift kit to my 904 which will be behind a 390 stroker I'm hoping will be pushing around the 500 mark. I'm lead to believe that if I was to fit a full manual valve body, like a cheetah or TCI, I could do away with the kickdown set up, but by fitting any type of shift kit to the original valve body, even the full manual, I still need to run kickdown. Can anyone clarify this for me please ?

Your right hand will be the kickdown now.:D

The "throttle pressure" assembly will be useless and removable.

If I remember correctly, the tf-3 kit still requires throttle linkage or you can simply make it so the linkage is blocked all the way to "full throttle pressure" if you run the linkage, it softens the shifts at low throttle and firms them up as you open the throttle. If you simply wire the lever back, or block the valve to the fully depressed position in the valve body, you will have full pressure all the time which results in hard shifts. Not so bad if you have a stall converter to absorb some of the shock at low speeds, but it can be brutal if your running anything less than a 10" converter.

Eddie

Ok cool thanks guys. So boltone, if I run it full open will a 3200 stall be enough to make it a little easier to live with ? This won't be an everyday driver, more a weekend cruiser come show car come strip car

Ideally it's best to have a converter built to your car's specs, not just pull a number out of the air.

And to ad, if you're going to the TF-3, I believe that converts your VB to full manual. That in of itself increases the line pressure, eliminating the need for the throttle pressure linkage.

Your shifts WILL be neck snapping, not really, but they will be very firm. :D

And to ad, if you're going to the TF-3, I believe that converts your VB to full manual. That in of itself increases the line pressure, eliminating the need for the throttle pressure linkage.

Your shifts WILL be neck snapping, not really, but they will be very firm. :D

Very true Bruce.

If it is truly a full manual VB I hope you have a billet reverse servo and the accumulator at least blocked from moving.

Here's a link to the instructions:http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=161751

The page 2 step 8 of the instructions clearly state that if you don't have throttle linkage, the throttle lever MUST be wired back to full throttle position. This kit does convert it to full manual, but it only takes the governor pressure out of the equation. It does not eliminate the throttle pressure circuit. The throttle pressure only controls shift firmness and not timing since it is full manual. If you don't hook up the throttle linkage OR block it wide open you will burn up the transmission. This is not the case if you buy a full manual valve body from a company like ATI, TCI, or Turbo Action, because they block the throttle valve to full pressure inside the valve body.

Stewie- If you have a 3200 that should be a 10" converter and you will be just fine. Wire the throttle lever all the way back and Go for it.

Hopefully the link works---I can build a trans, but computers drive me nuts!

Eddie

I have installed two TF3 kits and from recollection the instructions in my kits did not mention the kickdown. I did call transgo and they informed me that it was still required. They also recommended not to wire the lever all the way back on anything other than a dedicated race car.

While we are on the topic I would recommend care be taken with the TF3. Mine was set up 100% as per the instructions and while in park, if you brought the revs up to 3500 or so it would jump the park sprag and launch. I suffered a crushed femur because of this. I have heard of a similar occurrence in at least one other car that launched through a garage wall. Mine stopped doing this with some linkage adjustment, but I still don't trust these kits.

Does anyone else have any other similar experiences?

Well I'll be. I always thought the TF-3 switched it to full manual. I guess not.

.................the TF-3 is a full manual shift, but it still requires the kd/tp linkage or it will burn up just as any other tf without the linkage.....and u should only wire back the kd/tp arm for a dedicated race car as said earlier in this thread.....I have built many TF-3 kits and kd/tp linkage is an absolute must....kim........

.................the TF-3 is a full manual shift, but it still requires the kd/tp linkage or it will burn up just as any other tf without the linkage.....and u should only wire back the kd/tp arm for a dedicated race car as said earlier in this thread.....I have built many TF-3 kits and kd/tp linkage is an absolute must....kim........

Well, what I meant is any other full manual VB that you install, such as A&A, Griner and the like don't require the TPL, or do they? I have been told they don't.

Not disputing that this one does, but it can sure add some confusion.

Well, what I meant is any other full manual VB that you install, such as A&A, Griner and the like don't require the TPL, or do they? I have been told they don't.

Not disputing that this one does, but it can sure add some confusion.

..............No Bruce, those other reverse manual valve bodies don't need the linkage as they are set up internally totally different............kim...........

Thanks Kim. Transgo shouldn't advertise that as a "full manual", I realize it functions like one, but doesn't control like one. If that makes sense.

Well I just finished reading the thread. Trying to find out what to do as far as kickdown linkage/ pressure valve? So, I need a kickdown cable anyway? Well great!
Now the question becomes- slack adjustment is 3/16 play, then it touches, then all the way pushed in. Only all the way in at wot? Or at 3/4 ? Or do I make an adjuster to kinda set the pressure for a street setting and pind open for the strip?

I'm wondering why they(transco) ask to adjust the VP valve to lever to back stop clearance.:mob: 《 that's funny.

Your right hand will be the kickdown now.:D

The "throttle pressure" assembly will be useless and removable.

i bought a tf3 kit based on it being advertised as full manual. car is street strip and converter is 3800. instructions said nothing about having to use the tp linkage. shifts were firm with lever wired back and seemed to operate well.
have since stroked and gone turbo with a CRT reverse pattern vb which absolutely slams gears. preferred the way the tf3 shifted to be honest.

I prefer the TF3, cuz of the somewhat more gentle N to 1 engagement. Some VBs can really be harsh on this, especially as the idle speeds go up..
The TF-3s I have installed, with adjustable TP, were much more civilized about this.

-
Back