kickdown

-

bill detamore

Reaction score
Can any of you fine gentlemen tell me what a ickdown will do if it is out of adjustment? Any pointer or tricks on this one.

Thanks

BIll D

If set too low...really quick shifts in Drive, no kickdown, low hydraulic pressure which will eventually lead to trans failure.

If set too high....high or non-existent auto shift points, no full throttle (as rod will impede full blade opening), high hydraulic pressure will eventually hurt the trans as well.

Hope this helps......

Would you suggest a tranny guy or can I try something myself? A good tranny guy will know exactly how to set it?

Here is my issue. I had a Eddy manifold and a 600 installed. Ever since, the tranny shifts into 2nd at a higher rpm and downshifts all the time. Thoughts?

B

Make sure the spring is pulling it forward, to stop on the carb pivot. Then pull all the way backwards, and see if trans lever is all the way back. If that is ok, then adjust by the back of the engine. When it kicks into 3rd @ 90 mph, it is good. Aside, just call Turbo Action, ask for Paul.

Would you suggest a tranny guy or can I try something myself? A good tranny guy will know exactly how to set it?

Here is my issue. I had a Eddy manifold and a 600 installed. Ever since, the tranny shifts into 2nd at a higher rpm and downshifts all the time. Thoughts?

B

Yes...any decent trans shop should know how to set it, but "green1" above pretty much nailed it.

From your description, it sounds like its set a little high. try screwing in the slider assembly a few turns at a time and test. Make sure you have a return spring on the kickdown linkage so it returns to idle with the throttle.

Gusy

I wanted to let you all know what I found out.

First, the kick down needs to be changed to a cable. There was not enough adjustment with the stock arm.

Second. The throttle valve is stuck. That will be fixed with the cable installation.

They will also check to see how the trans is doing overall. Rebuild may be in my future.

B

Rob

I decided to get a Lokar throttle cable and kickdown cable. I have not had them installed yet. Life gets in the way as you know. I would love to get this taken care of this week. I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks for the note.

B

Rob

Another update for you.

I took it in to have the kickdown and throttle linkage replaced. They were going to take a look at the tranny. The pan had lots of metal shavings in the filter so I went for an entire rebuild. Glad i did. They showed me the old parts yesterday. Burned clutches etc. I will get the car back on Monday.

I had a 4 barrel, manifold, elec. ignition out in awhile ago and it never worked right. There was always the shiting issues. The kickdown was way out of adjustment and the tranny was on the verge. Glad I am having it done. Cant wait to drive it.

-
Back