killing dogs

-

iggys68dart

Reaction score
i have 3 boston terriers and i have one i have owned for 16 years and i have two rescues that i have owned for 2 years my oldest is a male and the others are females and every now and then they get into a fight and both females attack my old male so i got home after work at 1 am tonight and cant find my oldest pup finally i located him under my tralior and rip out skirting to find him half alive i am currently sitting with him debating on ending them bitches lifes but i love them too and nature is what it is so anyone got any input on this i would appreciate it

I'd suggest you get rid of the two females,they will probably keep attacking the old male.Terriers are like that.

I would get rid of the females as well....they now have that "pack" mentality and will do it to the next pet as well. JMO

A very tough spot you are in. How does one put down a friend. The old guy needs your protection. Maybe try to find a way to separate them when you are not around, maybe cage the older one or put in another room. He has had a good run and does not deserve to go out this way.

My nieghbor has a boston as well,...It (She)came up and picked a fight with my female rescue ( lab /wiemeriener),...bad move, My Emma damned near killed her,...18 scalp stitches, partially crushed throat,puntured lung,.....Now my dog wants to go down there and finish the job. His wife now has their kida scaredto death of all black dogs.
Long story short, I now have 2000' of invisible fence. Me and him agreed that dogs will be dogs and we'll both take appropiate measures. Your in a tuff spot bud, I know Boston are a hard headed lot,...maybe try to adopt em out,...good luck

You need to split them up. Good for you for the rescue, but you need to break the pack that the two females have formed. I don't think any of them should be put down, but you need to keep the old dog safe. Maybe give up one of the females? Can another home be found?

I raise and breed terriers mostly Jack Russell's I must ask are all your dogs fixed usually that is the leading couse of fights like the one's you decribed. if there not and you want to keep them I highly suggest taking them down to the vet and having it done. However if they are all fixed I suggest keeping them seperated or taking the females to the pound.

I think splitting up the females are the best idea. My female rott has drawn blood from my male. I can't imagine what would would happen to poor Merlin if I got another female.

That's a tough spot to be in. :sad11:

They may be capable of attacking a human senior or child, God forbid.
To exercise your dominion isn't a sin.

that's a tough spot to be in for sure.

I own a Rottweiler also (female) and we have a 12-year old Pug mix. While my Rottie isn't agressive there's been a few incidents where the old guy tries to assert his dominance (he's intact) only to find out he just doesn't have enough dog to play alpha to a 78 pound 1-year old working dog.

We train in Schutzhund so I'm regularly involved with some VERY powerful and well-trained dogs but every once in a while there's a bit of a dust-up when the wrong 2 dogs catch sight of one another. It's usually a female causing the problem!

If you're going to try and keep all 3 you will definitely need to keep them separated, your problem is not going to go away. Im my opinion you will need to figure out which of those females is the dominant one (the "ring leader") and isolate THAT dog. I think you'll find your old guy might be okay with the other female. Also, don't feed the 3 of them together.

good luck

Give away one of the bitches then the keeper will get into line, maybe the old guy might even kick her *** and put her in her place.disgust

My dog has something of the same problem. She is the loveliest thing around people, absolutely loves them. But she has a problem with other dogs. Not small dogs like our neighbor has. Although she has run over there when their idiot 2 year old started barking at her previously, she now ignores her when georgie does that. But the couple of times where she has run over, all she did was sniff while the other dog yelped like she was being killed. Which was kinda funny.

But last week, some lady was walking her poodle and Belle got a whiff of the other dog, ran over, and just attacked it. I got there right as she started since I was finishing up the caprice when she ran off from beside me and if she acts like she sees something then I usually tell her to calm down and keep a close eye on what she's doing until she loses interest. But this time she didn't even sniff the dog like she normally has in the past, she just ran up and attacked it. And whenever we take her somewhere in the car, which is all the time because she absolutely loves car rides, whenever she sees another dog she starts barking really scary like, almost like a viscous attack dog. Since it isn't aimed at us, it's pretty easy to get her to stop, but this worries us. None of our other Newfies have been like this around other dogs, the only difference is that this one is a rescue dog that we've had for a little over a year rather than the others which have all been bought from a breeder or from a woman who also had a cat (just the second one, the first and third were from the breeder).

*note: the other dog was fine from what I saw, not bleeding or anything, just scared out of its mind. and Belle got a few whacks on the nose as soon as I pulled her off and a few bad dogs as well. Also a swat to the rear as she went inside. She knew exactly what she did, that I have no doubt of seeing as how she's the smartest newf we've had so far.

Your much more compassionate than me, I would have done away with em when I found the older one nearly dead.

thanks for replys roscoe is still recovering as of now i dont know wich way it will go so i am keeping him comfortable as i can and hoping for the best

My daughter had two dogs that for just some reason hated one another. This was in a household with at one point several dogs. They made every attempt to keep them apart. Child gates, moving one into a bedroom when the other had the rune of the house etc. It only takes one lapse of attension and all hell would brake out. If the fight was bad enough, a frenzy would whip up and the calmest of labs would jump into the fight. Funny thing was that the dog that constantly got it's *** handed to it was the one that would start it. Finally, one had to be put down. A very hard thing to do to a pet for sure, but when they are in the heat of that fight they will lash out at ANYONE! You, your wife, child, NEIGHBOR! You want to know what trouble is, have you dog attack your neighbor's kid. Try to find another home for the girls if you can, likely one on one could very well be fine pets.

thanks for replys roscoe is still recovering as of now i dont know wich way it will go so i am keeping him comfortable as i can and hoping for the best

Prayers sent for you and Roscoe, sorry to hear about this tough time you're going thru Iggy.

Man, how horrible. My prayers are with you and the old guy.

I have a Boston Terrier at home too. He's a neutered male. I also have an older female Boxer, which is spayed. The little BT completely dominates the Boxer, even though he is neutered. He's not overly aggressive, but he definitely dominate.

For what it's worth, I work with dogs on a regular basis at work. "***** agression" is the most difficult trait to overcome in female dogs. They either completely hate other female dogs. Or, they team up with one other female dog and form a pack against anything else that may be seen as a threat to their dominance.

My 2 cents would be to help the old guy heal up and then split up the 2 females. As you know, there are plenty of rescues out there for BTs. They don't necessarily need to put down, just placed into the proper living environment.

If for some reason the old guy doesn't make it and you decide to keep the 2 females, you should be prepared for the possibility of the 2 females turning on each other to determine who is "alpha" now that the male wouldn't be in the picture.

I understand this is a terrible spot to be in. Your old guy deserves to live his last years in peace and with you and your family's love. I would vote for adopting out the females.

I truly hope the old guy pulls through!

You need to serve a more active role in Alfa male of your house hold. I have two Boxers one female the other male... Those dogs eat and drink outta the same bowl. I can take food right out of their bowl or mouths with no worries that the dogs are going to be aggressive toward me or each other. However I travel quite frequently and when I'm gone my wife apparently doesn't hold the same clout as I do. The dogs act completely different like, barking at people, marking more often, and sleeping in the other rooms. there is no doubt in my mind that neither of my dogs would ever fight each other while I'm around b/c they now they don't get to make those decisions... Daddy does!

-
Back