killing time with mods

-

Badvert65

Long Time Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Ok, so I am killing time in my shop, over vacation. 400 block is at the machine shop (sorry guys) so not much to do there. I still have the slant six in the Belvedere so I figured I would make the most of it. I decided to swap my Super Six stuff from the wrecked Volare to the Belvedere. Of course, exhaust manifold was cracked, so I got one off Ebay. It was cheap but not a good casting. ports at the head were undersized and odd shaped. The pipe outlet was 1 3/4 at best. I decided to maximize the six's potential so I ported the daylights out of the exhaust manifold. It is port matched at the head and the outlet is 2 1/4 now. Intake was factory so it didn't need much help there. I did block off the EGR ports. I modified an old chrome valve cover while I was at it. Anyway, now just waiting for the weather to warm up enough to make the swap. Not sure how much difference it will make, but I will sleep better.

Attachments

• SixPort-web.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 203
  • SixPort2-web.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 205
  • SixTop-web.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 224
  • TopSix2-web.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 209
Man that is nice for just 'foolin' around'!

Is that some casting residue in the exhaust port? That looks pretty bad... must have been a Monday casting....

The ports were cast poorly, to say the least. I think this was a 'Hangover Monday' casting. Easy to clean up, just a lot of grinding. Manifold was new, $70 shipped, so I guess you get what you pay for.
-Matt

-
Back