knee surgery sucks

-

black_bishop

Reaction score
realize i'm still pretty new around here but yesterday i had my acl replaced with the one from a cadaver. wasnt so bad yesterday but i think the anestesia(sp) has fianlly worn off. man my knee is thumping right now. glad i have this site handy so at least while i'm stuck at home i can cruise this killer forum.

for those interested, i had started to disassemble my dart in anticipation of paint and body work. as soon as i can get around the garage, i will finish taking her apart. looking like mid june for completion of paint and body work.

New or old; it doesn't matter around here as long as you know where here is. Or something like that. How the heck did you ruin your ACL? Isn't that mostly a sports-type injury? I hope you recover quickly. I hope you don't mind posting some progress pix of your car.

Been through 6 knee surgeries and 3 of those were ACL reconstruction.

Get your leg elevated as best you can if it's throbbing. The worst thing is getting swelling in the joint. Keep swelling to a minimum.

Work hard on the therapy and pay attention to what the knee is telling you. You'll be happier in the long run. I'm an animal when it comes to rehab and learned after the first ACL, that going hard all the time, isn't the best approach. #2 and #3 went much better.

If you have a walk in or large shower, get a chair you don't care about and a hand held shower head. It's way better than trying to stand on a slippery surface on one leg.

Good luck

Another knee surgery survivor here also. Like everyone else has said take it easy, especially at first, and listen to the Dr. I found that heat before moving around and then extensive icing afterwards really helped me a lot. Best of luck on a quick and full recovery!

Me too. Had mine done in Fairbanks , Alaska. I remember there was much pain involved but they kept me pumped up on morphine and demeral. They shot me in my but then in my arms so many times i pleaded with em to give it to me somewhere else. I was sore in those spots and they ask if i wanted in the top of my leg . I said ok. DONT do that to yourself. Now that hurt for a long time. My knee still locks up but i can unhang it. Do what the doc says and you'll be fine.
Small Block

I had major re-cunstructive surgery(ACL,ICL)took muscle tissue out of the side of my leg!Ouch!Was of my leg 9 months!(24 years ago)and 3 ortoscopy,s since.Just had 1 in Oct./08 was off work 5 weeks!Good luck with healing and getting better!Stay off of it for a while!

here too had mine done yr and a half ago it sucked. all i could do was sit here and look at my dart calling to come work on her, while i was laid up. makes ya want to cry lol. hope ya get movin around soon. and yes DO listen to the Doc narco is a good pain reliever lol.

No fun. I blew my knee out skiing a few years ago: ACL, MCL, meniscus tear, and bruised tibia. I got the cadaver tissue as well...kind of creepy at first. But I was back at the Tae Kwon Do in about 6 months.

One word: Oxycotin! And some whiskey...

Another knee operation survivor here to. Sort of! I stuck a ski pole through my knee when I caught a tip on a gate in a downhill race. That was interesting, looking at my knee with a pole sticking out of it, I pulled it out and then proceeded to pass out. LOL The stupid things a teenager does. Listen to the Dr: like everybody says, I didn't and I have payed for the rest of my life. That was almost 40 years ago.

Jack

well, i can already support my weight, so the doctor says that is a good thing. I', looking at about four weeks, total , including physical therapy. I am a paramedic student at the local tinker tech and i was playing rugby the first week of this quarter. guess i should have known better to conduct physical activity with kids 10 years younger than me.

well, i can already support my weight, so the doctor says that is a good thing. I', looking at about four weeks, total , including physical therapy. I am a paramedic student at the local tinker tech and i was playing rugby the first week of this quarter. guess i should have known better to conduct physical activity with kids 10 years younger than me.

Wow, that's quick. My wife had both right and left acl reconstruction. It took her months to recover from both. She was in intense physical therapy for 9 months both times. That's a nasty injury. almost worse than breaking a bone. Good luck, take care of it!

-
Back