Knives...and sharpening kits...

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
Everywhere I go I always have a pocket knife on me. I use it at least 5 or 6 times a day...My knife of choice is a Kershaw Leek. It's a very good knife. My friend just introduced this bad *** sharpening kit made by Lansky Sharpeners. We sharpened a few different knives last night, and I am very impressed with this sharpening kit. I think I might go ahead and buy one! Have any of you guys used this before, it's bad!!

http://www.lanskysharpeners.com/LKDMD.php

kershaw.jpg

I carry a Kershaw as well, never without it, I have a SMITH sharpening kit very similar to the one showen. They work very well.

00980601000.jpg

I have the Lansky kit, no complaints from me. I need to go dig it out of the shed, all the kichen knives need to be sharpened.....

I have the kit as well. Works well for putting an edge on a dull knife but is a real pain in the butt for touching up a blade. You have to get everything set up EXACTLY the same in order to get the angles the same.

My go-everywhere-do-everything knife is a Benchmade 615 (aka: Mini-Rukus).
BM-615.jpg
I have the Gatco version of that sharpening system and use it mostly for fixing really wrecked edges. My maintenance sharpening system is the Spyderco Sharpmaker. I use it for everything from my Puukko knives to nail clippers. It's much easier to use on larger blades such as the Khukuri as well. No need to move the clamp for the next section of the edge.

BM-615.jpg

I have a Gerber that is my every day knife and a Smith's kit that is very similiar to the Lansky you posted. The Gerber is light, slim, super fast (assisted opening, may or may not be legal in your area) and has the side lock that won't jamb up like a liner lock and is easier to engage/disengage vs. a lock back.

ScreenHunter_01 May. 18 13.15.jpg

All old school here :cheers: I kept the family tradition and still carry a Sod Buster by Case.:clock::clock:
and when cutting meat it's my old Victorinox / Fibox, Good handle and easy to keep very sharp.
That is my night stick in case I need to take a lung out :spiderma:

Duals all HOOKED UP 061.jpg

Duals all HOOKED UP 062.jpg

I use the lansky sharpening kits.
They work great, but you have to be very careful when using them.

Funny I was looking at pocket knives lat weekend,but they didn,t have anything thin enough.I like a thin knife that isn,t bulky in your pocket.I like all the ones in the pics.Will have to search one out.8)

i like the lansky ,i got one years ago.dont use it much anymore.these days i use a DMT diamond wet stone,then finish with a leather strap cover in polishing rouge.as far as newer knives go ive had good results with a company called CRKT.basically a benchmade knock-off.

I carry the same Gerber knife that Ramcharger has. It`s flat enough that it`s not cumbersome in your pocket. It`s also spring assisted so you can operate it with one hand. (very handy) I`ve always used a whetstone to sharpen a knife but I do have a pair of ceramic rods for touch up sharpening.

I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker on all my knives, have been for probably about 15-20 years.... Sharpen till they pull hair off your arm, wicked sharp on Swiss army knives, sharpened one for a friend, he was at a restaurant and used it, wiped it off with his napkin, sliced right through it and into his finger, he didn't feel it till he looked at the napkin and it was all red... DOH!

I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker on all my knives, have been for probably about 15-20 years.... Sharpen till they pull hair off your arm, wicked sharp on Swiss army knives, sharpened one for a friend, he was at a restaurant and used it, wiped it off with his napkin, sliced right through it and into his finger, he didn't feel it till he looked at the napkin and it was all red... DOH!
The Sharpmaker is great for that. My trusty 615 made a nice flap on the side of my index finger in the exact same way once.

-
Back