Knock outs on M/T Valve Covers.

-
Chain drill with a drill bit, knock it out and clean it up with a burr on a die grinder.

I used to pop them out with the ball end of a ball peen hammer. Use a small hammer on the cover and hit the head with another hammer. We used to set them up for the customers right on the counter at the speed shop.

I used to pop them out with the ball end of a ball peen hammer. Use a small hammer on the cover and hit the head with another hammer. We used to set them up for the customers right on the counter at the speed shop.

That is how 2 of the holes look on one side. I need to open up one on the other cover. I was thinking of something like that but I didnt want to crack the covers.

i would imagine the aluminum is brittle after years of use and heat cycles. i would not try the hammer technique.

I used the hole saw method on mine, then used a dremel to open up the "catches" for the oil cap

If you want a professional opinion, you can always ask Leeanne

Thanks Mirage! A hole saw is the way to go, and then clean up any burrs with a wide-tooth carbide bit.

Before you do it though, make sure you can get the proper grommet!! They're apparently getting tough to find, especially in the thickness needed for MP covers.

Thanks Mirage! A hole saw is the way to go, and then clean up any burrs with a wide-tooth carbide bit.

Before you do it though, make sure you can get the proper grommet!! They're apparently getting tough to find, especially in the thickness needed for MP covers.

Thanks for your input Leanna!

-
Back