knock sensor on a /6??

-

Hammer

Reaction score
So I've been doing some extensive reading about ignition timing of engines running boost, and from what I have read, knock sensors are the way to go. Apparently the MSD ignition boxes that retard the timing "X" amount of degrees per psi of boost can give you a great top end, but a saugy middle. So my question is: can a bosch knock sensor be installed on a slant 6, and if so where would it go?

Yes. Any sensor can. You need a thick spot on the block, where you can drill a 3/8" deep hole and thread it. It can't penetrate the crankcase or cooling jacket and done properly, the sensor should just touch the bottom of the hole when tight. I would go lower on the block because harmonics in the valvetrain up top can cause false readings too.

There's no easier way? Drilling the block isn't really an option for me at this point. I've heard of them being put in the intake manifold before. Any merit to that?

Problem with knock sensor on pre-1981 slant-6 engine: mechanical lifters, which even when adjusted properly make noise (you can't hear it but the sensor can) that is close enough to what a ping sounds like that the knock sensor will fire, and your ignition box will respond by retarding the timing.

Problem with knock sensor on pre-1981 slant-6 engine: mechanical lifters, which even when adjusted properly make noise (you can't hear it but the sensor can) that is close enough to what a ping sounds like that the knock sensor will fire, and your ignition box will respond by retarding the timing.

2x there dan!

-
Back