Know anything about those "Seized Vehicles" auctions?

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
You see the ads all the time. You can get information on where auctions are held to dispose of government-seized vehicles for pennies on the dollar. Have any of you actually been able to get some useful information from these advertisers? I suspect you have to pay them to get on a mailing list or to obtain a list of some sort.

Let me know if you have had any good experiences with this.

Thanks,
Jerry

Jerry,
I live near Ft.Leonard Wood and have attended the GSA auctions in the past. The last one I went to had some seized vehicles as well as gov't vehicles.
There was limited local advertising at the time but you could sign up to be on a mailing list for all sales in your area (surrounding states, basically). If you didn't regularly attend and sign in at these auctions you had to renew to stay on the list, which I failed to do.
I agree, the ads likely put you on the list for a fee. I would think with a little research you could find the info on your own without cost. I know there was no cost to be on the mailing list.
There might be an occasional bargain but the stuff I saw sell brought very good money, not 'pennies on the dollar'.
Dallas
missourimopar.com

A friend of mine lives just outside of Baltimore and he used to go to Hagerstown in Maryland to buy auction municipal vehicles. He went during a snowstorm and scored a MINT Sherriff's Caprice 9C1 police package Impala for $3,500 with 60K on it. He's also gone and seen 9C1's go for almost as much as similar year Impala SS's would normally sell for. It's all luck I guess... auctions are auctions.

BTW: He now has 3 9C1's and he loves them. He got rear-ended in one that was totalled and got paid close to $5,000 MORE than it cost him to buy it.

FASTBACK340 said:

BTW: He now has 3 9C1's and he loves them. He got rear-ended in one that was totalled and got paid close to $5,000 MORE than it cost him to buy it.

That's friggen sweet. The only kind of car that doesn't decpreciate in value-- one you bought at an auction for 1/10th the value ;)

The website is www.gsaauctions.gov and have bid on stuff plenty of times. But just like ebay and other auction sites the stuff goes for way to much money unless you keep on it then every once in a while a good deal comes along.

All those other guys are trying to do is get your info then sell it to other people. Just like the free dinners you can get if you take a survey on the internet then get nailed with a bunch of spam.

Chuck

It's best to check with your local city office to see who sells off their seized and surplus materials, and vehicles. They will usually be teamed up with the local utility companies also, I.E. Electric Company-Phone-Water Dept-and local large construction companies etc. You can pay pennies on the dollar, but generally only when the weather is piss poor. I was sent to one of these auctions to purchase a 5yd dump truck, a pole/line utility truck, and an arrow/directional board. My boss told me to spend no more than $10,000 on the Dump, and no more than $15,000 on the Line Truck, and $2,500 on the board. The weather was let's put it this way the rain didn't fall down, it went sideways. And there was only a little lightning. I was able to pick up everything for $10,500. Needless to say I hit him up for a bonus. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes people pay stupid prices for somthing. Just because they won't be outbid. They give you all the history with the municipal's etc.. At this auction they had a non-running section, they couldn't be driven up to the auction block due to any type of problem. From either the distributor cap missing, to ones that have been hit by trains. I noticed alot of people don't bid on the non-running ones. And sometimes it's so simple of a problem to.

If you have friends in the police force ask them. I am trying to find out some things on ALOT of muscle cars that my mom found one day (Dart was one of them) and then the day after seh was there the cops busted him for buying and selling drugs. So police impounds, local 'flea market' auctions, and those kind of things are good depending on what has already been said... aka weather, peoples mood on bidding.

Fastback 340, I know which auction place you are talking about. They do have some pretty good stuff there. Best auction place I have ever found is in the hills of West Virginia where people dont even know what internet is. So $200-500 cars are the norm.

-
Back