KOBALT stainless steel tool chest

-
Thanks.

I don't get it but in away I do for paying that much for a tool box. Give or take a little of course.

The Lowes box is a nice one for the price. I have an old MAC Economizer John Force Edition and a tool cart to keep my sockets on. I've been looking at the Lowes box as an inexpensive upgrade to get more room.

I've been in shops with guys who are engaged in the toolbox races. To me, most of 'em are compensating for something...:D And most of the guys I've worked with who have those big, bad, expensive boxes have very little tools to show for it because the payment on the box itself leaves 'em buying cheap or no tools.

My box has never made me money. The tools inside have.

Comparatively, the price on the box you just bought is a good price.

When it comes to tools always buy the best. A snap-on, Mac, cornwell, and the like will 1 last forever, 2 covered under a lifetime warranty, and 3 make life alot easier knowing the tool will do the job.

Cheap tools, I consider anything craftsman and down cheap. Ever applied a bunch of torque to a cheap tool and watched the tool flex and round off a bolt. A good tool won't do that. Buying a box is similar, but I don't see needing a snap-on box, a nice one with roller berring guides and you will be set. Any more than that is overkill.

I am still using my dads impact gun, he got it when he was just starting out as mechanic. He has since retired and I have most of his tools, just yesterday I was removing a front hub off my ram to replace a broken wheel stud, this impact came off a snap on truck in the 60's and his snap- on guy in 1980 told him to buy a rebuild kit because the gun was being discontinued. Well we put that rebuild kit in the gun about 6 months ago. So an impact that was probably 100 back in the 60's worked flawlessly for aprox 50 years. The thing still functions just like new. Let's see how a cheap tool holds up I. 50years getting used every day for decades.

I choose to buy quality tool that last. Tools are a one time purchase, that you NEVER SELL. It's that simple.

To the OP sorry got a little side tract. That's one sweet box I have been eyeing one for myself. I just keep coming up with other things I need more. I only have one problem you need to get more junk. Your gerage/shop is way too empty and clean. You gotta at least have a little dust and dirt on the molding or it's not a true shop. Lol

When it comes to tools always buy the best. A snap-on, Mac, cornwell, and the like will 1 last forever, 2 covered under a lifetime warranty, and 3 make life alot easier knowing the tool will do the job.

Cheap tools, I consider anything craftsman and down cheap. Ever applied a bunch of torque to a cheap tool and watched the tool flex and round off a bolt. A good tool won't do that. Buying a box is similar, but I don't see needing a snap-on box, a nice one with roller berring guides and you will be set. Any more than that is overkill.

I am still using my dads impact gun, he got it when he was just starting out as mechanic. He has since retired and I have most of his tools, just yesterday I was removing a front hub off my ram to replace a broken wheel stud, this impact came off a snap on truck in the 60's and his snap- on guy in 1980 told him to buy a rebuild kit because the gun was being discontinued. Well we put that rebuild kit in the gun about 6 months ago. So an impact that was probably 100 back in the 60's worked flawlessly for aprox 50 years. The thing still functions just like new. Let's see how a cheap tool holds up I. 50years getting used every day for decades.

I choose to buy quality tool that last. Tools are a one time purchase, that you NEVER SELL. It's that simple.

To the OP sorry got a little side tract. That's one sweet box I have been eyeing one for myself. I just keep coming up with other things I need more. I only have one problem you need to get more junk. Your gerage/shop is way too empty and clean. You gotta at least have a little dust and dirt on the molding or it's not a true shop. Lol

I work at a auto glass center. We was doing a mobile at a mechanic shop. I was looking around at the guys shop and his tool boxes. He had cheap no name brand tool boxes BUT the tools he was using was Snap On. He was working on a Buick that was over heating and they was having a hard time figuring out why. He had various wrenches, pyres, sockets, sitting around under the hood of the car. They was all Snap On.

I have the "Big One" with the Pioneer Radio/CD player, the fridge and LED lights in it and I love it! Made my neighbors jealous and I can hear the stereo out in the driveway just fine. My only complaint is the roller strips for the wide drawer isn't the best design and I need to see if they will replace it. Other than that its great! I guess I shouldn't have loaded all my 1/2" ratchets and sockets in that drawer....

Around here they want $1898.00 at Lowes for that with out extra tools. Was that a special deal? You would think all there stores would offer that price.

Around here they want $1898.00 at Lowes for that with out extra tools. Was that a special deal? You would think all there stores would offer that price.

That sounds like the big model with a radio, frig. It goes for that price at Lowes for $1880. The one (smaller) I bought I got it on sale (special deal) for $860 with a 173 pc Kolbalt tool set. Now its back up to regular price which is $1080.

hey check out u coat it for your floor. i have done a few for customers and it is nice stuff, you will have to air it out for a few days after.

Gonna agree and disagree with you a bit on your side track. Hope you don't mind. :D

I've seen guys go the other way, too, from what I was talking about above when first entering the trade. Huge bills with the tool truck guys to the point they've got thousands in debt with just basic hand tools and maybe a few air tools. Leaves no room for the more specialized tools like brake flair kits, coolant pressure testers, DMM's, etc. And if you get in a more specialized job like a Honda timing belt, well there's no room in the credit limit and the until the truck account is paid off...

After over twenty years in the trade my tool box is filled with just about everything. MAC, Snap-on, Cornwell, Matco, NAPA, Crapsman, Husky, Kobalt, Irwin, Channel Lock, SK, ATD, a few odd Duralasts, and the list goes on. I've got some Crapsman my grandfather had.

My nephew is just entering the trade, going to a local vo-tech for it's diesel program. I keep telling him the most important thing is to buy tools with a lifetime warranty. Upgrade later, as your credit limit and salary allow you to. And to look at the warranty program itself. WalMart bought Stanleys? Nope. May be lifetime, but if you break one socket you have to return the entire set for warranty issues. Crapsman? No questions asked. And you can exchange it on your way home. NAPA? Hell, most likely the shop he'll work for will have a commercial account with NAPA. Break one and they can bring it to you on their next delivery. The only thing I insist on being big name are screwdrivers (got those from MAC) and flair wrenches (I got those from Snap-on). The others I've never had an issue with.

I'll agree with you about certain things: good tools help make the job go quicker. But for guys first entering the trade a balance has to be struck. They need to do some comparison shopping before they climb on the tool truck and get blinded by all the shiny tools and take into account the more specialized tools they'll need if the shop doesn't supply it.

I can agree but, I would say buy a good name brand Tool set, then slowly add on as you can. I may be lucky, but I have been receiving tools since I was a kid. Ill be 31 tomorrow, now granted I had most of my tools before I ever decided to turn wrenches. And I also purchased a bunch while on active duty as a mechanic. I have since moved on. And no longer turn wrenches for a living, but still do it as a hobby and once you have the basics, stop putting things on the credit account with the truck, and start paying cash. You don't need more than about $3000 in basic hand tools to get you started. Then every payday budget 10% for tool purchases and next thing you know otsnen 5-7 years and you have all the tools needed. Tossing tools off the truck because you can get them on credit is a really bad idea.

Gonna agree and disagree with you a bit on your side track. Hope you don't mind. :D

I've seen guys go the other way, too, from what I was talking about above when first entering the trade. Huge bills with the tool truck guys to the point they've got thousands in debt with just basic hand tools and maybe a few air tools. Leaves no room for the more specialized tools like brake flair kits, coolant pressure testers, DMM's, etc. And if you get in a more specialized job like a Honda timing belt, well there's no room in the credit limit and the until the truck account is paid off...

After over twenty years in the trade my tool box is filled with just about everything. MAC, Snap-on, Cornwell, Matco, NAPA, Crapsman, Husky, Kobalt, Irwin, Channel Lock, SK, ATD, a few odd Duralasts, and the list goes on. I've got some Crapsman my grandfather had.

My nephew is just entering the trade, going to a local vo-tech for it's diesel program. I keep telling him the most important thing is to buy tools with a lifetime warranty. Upgrade later, as your credit limit and salary allow you to. And to look at the warranty program itself. WalMart bought Stanleys? Nope. May be lifetime, but if you break one socket you have to return the entire set for warranty issues. Crapsman? No questions asked. And you can exchange it on your way home. NAPA? Hell, most likely the shop he'll work for will have a commercial account with NAPA. Break one and they can bring it to you on their next delivery. The only thing I insist on being big name are screwdrivers (got those from MAC) and flair wrenches (I got those from Snap-on). The others I've never had an issue with.

I'll agree with you about certain things: good tools help make the job go quicker. But for guys first entering the trade a balance has to be struck. They need to do some comparison shopping before they climb on the tool truck and get blinded by all the shiny tools and take into account the more specialized tools they'll need if the shop doesn't supply it.

I had a "Krauter" ratchet and it was my favorite, must have been my neighbors favorite too as he moved and my ratchet moved with him ;-(

-
Back