L e d s tail lights on my 64

-
I've read that you need to use a different style flasher with an LED conversion. I don't remember what the difference is or why it's important. I don't know if the source was accurate either. Anyone heard of this?

Standard flashers are calibrated to provide a correct flash rate only when current draw across them is within a narrow window. This is so that the driver gets audiovisual feedback (steady-burn/no-flash or very rapid flashing) in the event of a bulb burnout. You have to use a non-load-sensitive flasher when you install LED lamps on a vehicle originally equipped with incandescent bulbs. Alternatively, you can use a load simulator (usually a resistor) in parallel with the LED lamps, but most load simulators spoil the power consumption benefit of LEDs.

Great discussion! But really guys, I didn't want to reinvent the wheel here. I'd just like to get a brighter light source without melting the lenses or spending all my free time building a custom lamp. I'm assuming at this point that there is no such animal on the market, as a bolt-in item, at this time, correct?

-
Back