LA 318 idle problem - SOLVED

-

berwaldg

cudasforever
Reaction score
'68 Barracuda - Carter BBD4421S 2bbl carb. The car suddenly began to idle terribly. Much testing and head scratching. New plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, and coil didn't solve it. Adjusting dwell and timing didn't solve it. I hooked up an extra plug to each wire, one by one and verified that all plugs were firing. A friend had given me a small diagnostic machine years ago that lets you short out cylinders one by one and measures the rpm drop so I hooked it up. There was no rpm drop at all for cylinders 2,3,5, and 8, meaning the engine was running on only 4 cylinders - VERY odd. Removed the carb and examined the intake manifold to discover that each bbl of the 2bbl carb controls 2 cylinders on each side of the engine. The right bbl controls, you guessed it, cylinders 2,3,5,and 8. Disassembled the carb to find a plugged idle jet on that side - problem solved! Thought I would pass this along to anyone who might be having a similar problem.

We had one member on here, turned out to have a crack in the intake of a V8. That was a bit tough to run down

-
Back