La 360 Oil Pan Gasket....

-

hinkdart

Reaction score
Hey guys, haven't been on in a long time... lifes a mess lol..

I have a 72 Dart with a 360 that I dated to 1974; crate motor from 2007-08 that the previous owner installed. I can't get this thing to stop leaking.... It had a small leak from the back of the oil pan that would only start on long drives.

It bothered me so last year I dropped the pan and installed a 1 piece gasket. The car has headers and is a major pita to drop the pan. Headers on the dr side have to come off and last time I jacked up the engine from above with a hoist to aid clearance. Unfortunately I sold my hoist... This time i disconnected the transmission cooler lines to give a little more room but it is still tight..

Unfortunately the one piece leaked 10x worse than before... and it is not driveable. I have it apart and am looking for guidance on how to proceed... I've read some old posts and some of you rtv the sides and just use the front and rear rubber gaskets... I'm leaning that way but my issue is the rear gasket is a major pita. Do you glue it in place in the pan or on the bottom of the block??

That is where I'm thinking I went askew.. that rear gasket isn't visible with the trans and I'm thinking it is popping out when I tighten down the bolts ( bad leak).

so you're going to try to install it with the engine in the car? or you did? I tried that with that same gasket on my 360 - - - once. Everything is in the way, steering, trans lines, oil pick-up, headers (both had to be loosened on my car), even the trans dust shield IIRC. I know it seems like the easy answer, but I have got to say it - (unless someone knows a GREAT trick) you're wasting your time doing it in the car and will eventually have to take the engine out anyway. I just couldn't get the entire gasket to stay put correctly - even when I did finally get it to a point that I thought was going work, it didn't - the ONLY way I have been able to get the pan to seal properly with the one piece has been to take the engine out and get it on a stand. Maybe you'll have better luck with the old school multi piece gasket set (though I doubt it).. but that one piece is a superior piece and in the long run and IMO, well worth the hassle.

yeah I did it with the engine in the car and am attemping to do it a second time with the engine in the vehicle.... I just sold my engine hoist but I'm sure I could get one.... I really didn't want to pull the engine because the headers are a nightmare to get back on... steering gear is in the way on the dr side..

My 86 k10 i was able to do in the truck but this one is being a major pita.

I had the same issue with my 360 Duster, leaked out the back of the oil pan so i tried a one piece gasket... still leaked. Finally i ended up buying a new Milodon oil pan from Mancini. It was pretty expensive for an oil pan but solved my issue, also used a one piece gasket with rtv in the back and front corners. I was able to shimmy it up but had to remove passenger side header. I think i dabbed a little super glue in a couple spots to hold the gasket. Still no leaks.

Also do you have a pcv valve, maybe you are getting to much crank case pressure?

-
Back