LA Engine Intake Manifold (273)

-

VADodgeDart340

Reaction score
I have a 273 intake manifold that the heat shield has been removed/hacked up (can you believe it!). The rivets are still there but the shield was cut away (roughly) and I want to replace it. I have looked around and actually have a question in to Tony up at Tony's MOPAR Parts to see if a NOS is available...

Here is my question to my FABO friends and experts: Is the shield really necessary if I am running an aftermarket (electric choke) 4bbl carb? and does anybody out here know if the part is available or what the MOPAR part number was (I saw a 318 2bbl one on eBay but the guy says it won't fit).

So any info would be great!

Todays gas evaporates much quicker then it used to, works great with fuel injection but sucks when you want to run a carb. Most of us have some type of insulator under our carbs. So I think it might be a good idea to keep as much hot oil off the underside of the intake as possible, why not get some sheet metal and make your own. I would think the bigger the better. Maybe someone can step in with some ideas.

the shield was put there by the factory to keep oil from burning on the manifold. the center port in the head is a heat riser port or heat cross over ive heard it called.if you plug the heat riser port then the heat wont get there and it wont burn the oil and the shield is not necesary. some times there already plugged because of carbon build up.if you plug it you can gain some ponys but the down side is the engine idle changes a ton from hot to cold.a compromise you can decide on.the shield might help keep the manifold a little cooler if the shield is on there and the heat riser is plugged.i made my own shield before dont know if they make them.

Thanks... I would be willing to bet that the one off the 318 would fit with a little modification... the guy wants $35 for it so even if it is not perfect it is a template.

The 273 intake is single plane. The 318 intake is probably dual plane. How much difference that would make in the underside of the casting and heat shield fitment is anyone's guess.

Get an intake valley baffle. Then if you lose a rocker, your oil pressure won't go away- as a free bonus! And it's there for any intake you use, not just the stocker

-
Back