LA Engine with Magnum heads and intake??

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am running a LA 360 with Magnum heads and magnum air gap intake. Im wondering about 2 things.

First the Bypass hose. I picked up a standard LA bypass hose and because the air gap intake port is straight out the bypass hose is kinked and will not fit at all. I am running the LA water Pump and not sure if I have to swap to the Magnum. See the pic.
View attachment airgap.jpg
Im curious as to how you guys are running yours or how to fix this?

2nd question. The water neck. The only water neck I can find to fit the intake is a stock neck from a '00 Ram and it is seems very tall. View attachment water neck.jpg
Where can I find a shorter neck that will fit like a LA neck.

I cut the bypass hose down some to eliminate the kink and it twisted on a bit hard but worked in the end and looked good too.
The water neck has to come from something magnum. I believe I used one from a '99 and it was the short style. Your local auto parts store can def help you out there.

Use a standard LA bypass hose and the original style fitting for the manifold....You can get these from MP.

You can run ANY 78-up water neck. I have the MP chrome one for 78-up and it works perfectly.

Use a standard LA bypass hose and the original style fitting for the manifold....You can get these from MP.

You can run ANY 78-up water neck. I have the MP chrome one for 78-up and it works perfectly.

Perfect! Thanks for the input, that is exactly what Im wondering about!

Mancini also sells all the stock outlets for the manifold for less than $20.00

Running your same setup, but correct me if I am wrong. The fitting you are saying to get from Mancini's is still a straight fitting. With the LA bypass hose, this still binds up quite a bit. I did some trial things and the best I could come up with was to by some brass strait barbed fittings for the WP and the Manifold. Cut 1 or 2 of the barbs off, trimmed down the LA bypass and then got one of these spring thingys that Gates sells, snaked it over the trimmed down LA bypass and installed. Tight fit but no kinkys. I am also open to other suggestions.

There are no 45 degree fittings short enough without machining something custom.

Couple of guys have used AN stuff on the bypass. All I've seen it on is an LA but I am sure it could be fitted to the LA/Magnum hybrid. I have that on Frankenteen, but I also have the Magnum front cover and serpentine bracket because I was going to run the serpentine setup. I guess I still am since it's not going to sell.

Im running a stock LA water pump so Im stuck with the stock bypass outlet. I will look for barbed fittings that are shorter and see what I can come up with.

I cut a couple barbs off the brass fitting that came with the intake to get the bypass hose to fit. Also had to trim the hose.

You can also go to napa and look in their book to line one up that works with no mods. Did this before. Brought the old bypass hose as reference. They ordered the hose and I got it the same day.

Magnum heads flow better and give a little more compression over stock heads. Others can chime in with more input since Im fairly new to this swap.

-
Back