LA intake magnum head questions

-

connerray

Reaction score
Iv have been studying this subject for a wile. I have two questions.
1) can I drill the LA intake instead of the magnum heads? If not then--->
Question 2) how deep do I need to drill the heads? 3/8" 1/2" 5/8"?
I can't find much info on question #1. But have read its been done
Thanks in advanced.

Iv have been studying this subject for a wile. I have two questions.
1) can I drill the LA intake instead of the magnum heads?
If not then--->
Question 2) how deep do I need to drill the heads? 3/8" 1/2" 5/8"?
I can't find much info on question #1. But have read its been done
Thanks in advanced.

Why not? Are you going to do it or have a machine shop do it?

I'd like to diy for price conservation. I live in a small town and good machine shops are far and few around here. Plus by the time I find a good used intake and then machine work I could just by an aftermarket that bolts on...
I just can't think of a way to drill the intake spoton

Also, drilling the intake will be less work and less money (cause I don't have a tap kit, and less chance of metal shavings hiding some were in the head after drilling

the magnum intake use a vertical bolt ......the LA intake flange is on an angle.....screwing a bolt straight down into a face that is at an angle will also need some kind of slanted washer to fit under the head of the bolt.

if you look at picture of the magnum intake or the crosswind intake you will see a boss that supports the vertical bolt....

here is a picture of a crosswind...you can see how the vertical bolts are supported.

Attachments

• 100_0933.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 668
Hmmm. Didn't think of that one...
Wonder were I can find a use aftermarket? Last I checked eBay I didn't find one. Search the sale threads here almost every day n haven't seen one yet...

if you are using a LA intake, you hog the bolt holes out. Then, cut some aluminum stock at a 45 degree angle to hold the intake in place with the Magnum intake bolts. this was written up somewhere ages ago when the swap was first taked about and there were no Magnum carb intakes.

if you are using a LA intake, you hog the bolt holes out. Then, cut some aluminum stock at a 45 degree angle to hold the intake in place with the Magnum intake bolts. this was written up somewhere ages ago when the swap was first taked about and there were no Magnum carb intakes.

Go for it........

I just started making a jig today so I can drill mine. If Im not too embarrassed by my hhandiwork, I will post some pics! I am about to find out how well a stock 5.9 with mildly ported heads, a 70' 340 intake, 750 dp, and headers will run.

Bingo! That's the way to go

Jig? in this article they were using a cone shaped stone and just went at it...maybe it was just for shock effect or something.

My jig is for drilling the heads, sorry for the confusion. I bought a 1 1/2x1/8x48" peice of flat steel stock and some 5/16" id x1" long steel spacers (to match the drill bit size). Used an old intake gasket to mark the steel, drilled it, used some bolts and spacers to hold it in place, put a bolt in to find the anger that the bottom of the spacer needs matched to, and tomorrow I will be welding it up. I will have 2 peices that go underneath the head so i can use the head bolt holes with a long bolt/nut to hold it in place. Also a peice on each end to bolt to the magnum accy holes.

someone says it works...LOL.....

like to see photos of the intake manifold after being drilled/hogged out...

X2 . Unless you have a lot of time to kill,and enjoy fabrication.

I do like fabrication to an extent. And it also allows me to expand my tools lol. But 169 for a mag intake is the cheapest iv seen any were and might just go that rout.

I do like fabrication to an extent. And it also allows me to expand my tools lol. But 169 for a mag intake is the cheapest iv seen any were and might just go that rout.

sell the intake you were planning to chop up and buy the ebay intake for $169. I just ordered one myself.

Shipping would kill me. I'm most likely going to buy the eBay one. Says its made by proComp but idk. Looks like a eddy air gap/performance products cross wind knock off

My jig is for drilling the heads, sorry for the confusion. I bought a 1 1/2x1/8x48" peice of flat steel stock and some 5/16" id x1" long steel spacers (to match the drill bit size). Used an old intake gasket to mark the steel, drilled it, used some bolts and spacers to hold it in place, put a bolt in to find the anger that the bottom of the spacer needs matched to, and tomorrow I will be welding it up. I will have 2 peices that go underneath the head so i can use the head bolt holes with a long bolt/nut to hold it in place. Also a peice on each end to bolt to the magnum accy holes.

I've been thinking about this since discussing it in the other thread. Guess I should have mentioned it sooner, but do you want to give my jig a shot?

Just get the right intake. They are cheap enough.

-
Back