LA to magnum valve covers

-

gunship

Reaction score
I have tried to do as much research on this as I can find. I know it can and has been done, but are there certain valve cover styles that wont work?
like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SB-M...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_4014wt_951

I really like how they look but since the magnum heads have the stud instead of a hole I did not think they would work, but I wanted to confirm it.

Someone makes them for the magum heads but they are way to rich for my blood (and teenage budget)

those should work on your magnum heads....Magnums have the same valve cover bolt pattern as L.A.s do, but with 5 additional bolts in between them...does that make sense?

Yes it does, I was thinking that the corner bolts were actually studs and not bolts. Thanks for the explanation.

You can interchange studs for bolts and vice-versa. No reason either won't work in the place of the other. I generally use studs on everything cause it makes things easier to assemble, IMO.

Yep, they will work. I am running the same set, but the only way that I could keep them from leaking is by using cork gaskets. Trust me. Other guys have had the same issue.

Did you use cork LA gaskets or magnum gaskets?

Just the LA cork gaskets work fine. Just so you know I did have to clearance the covers a little so they would clear the edge of my intake, but it was no big deal.

What was involved in making them clear the intake?

Just had to hit a couple of places with a die grinder along the base on the intake side. I was running a airgap intake, so you might be fine. Not that big of a deal.

I finally got some valve covers but, decided on the Mopar performance ones. I got them in today and I am looking for some tips on punching out the PCV hole and oil breather holes?

I finally got some valve covers but, decided on the Mopar performance ones. I got them in today and I am looking for some tips on punching out the PCV hole and oil breather holes?

I have a set of Greenlee hole punches I use. If you can find a set of them they work fantastic. You could also use a hole saw of the appropriate size if you are careful not to let it skip and mess up the surface.

I am running LA MP die cast covers on my magnum heads. I am also using the MP LA steel core rubber gasket. I have almost 50k miles on them and the covers have been off and on several time reusing the same gaskets and I haven't leaked a drop.

I am running LA MP die cast covers on my magnum heads. I am also using the MP LA steel core rubber gasket. I have almost 50k miles on them and the covers have been off and on several time reusing the same gaskets and I haven't leaked a drop.

yep. those MP steel core rubber gaskets are very good. :)

-
Back