LA vrs Magnum

-

Kar

Reaction score
Trying to figure this Mopar stuff out, I have a nice 65 Valiant Signet that I want to put a 360 in. What would be the benefits of a LA block vrs a Magnum block if they are both roller blocks. I have access to a good 91 complete motor and a 96.

if both are roller block...then the cylinder heads is the different...LA using shaft..and Magnum using a pedestal style rocker...plus the intake manifold bolt pattern are different...

Lets assume they are both in good running condition and at this time I just wanted to throw on a intake and carb and MAYBE a cam upgrade. I will use the headers on my 273. Is there any benifit of one over the other?

are you using a 904 trans?...

both are externally balanced...but use different dampers and weighted flexplates..

you got a magnum intake?

I am using a late 904 that was set up to work with my 273, and the guy that did the work said that he had everything required to set it up to work with a 360 when ever I decided to go that route. I do not have a magnum intake. Right now I hav a very good running 273 4bl with 3.23 gears and have decided that it is much more cost effective to build torque than it is to go with more gear and some type of overdrive in a 65 Valiant. That is why I want to swap out to the 360, I have available both the 91 and 96 motors complete, both running and for the same price. The only real advantage I see with the magnum is it has the complete serpentine setup with AC and power steering pump and alt. which would be clean.

360 magnum is a runner with a carburetor. Id go Mag hands down. Just an intake and cam away from almost 400 horse at the flywheel. Low compression turd LA isn't gonna do that so easy.

Mag makes more power than the la, but the mag have issues with valve guides. However if you ever decide that you want Efi, the mag will be better in that dept. personally, i would use the maggie

The old 300hp create engine is a stock magnum long block with a 4 barrel intake and seem to Dyno 320 hp with headers. Add even a mild cam should get you close 1:1 hp per cid.

Since you just want a runner I'd go with the magnum, if it was a full build I'd probably start with the LA more head option.

I'm a firm believer in the carbed Magnum. Cheap horsepower & not bad on fuel
My 77 CrewCab & 84 RamCharger both have Mag motors. I have two more trucks that are getting them soon

-
Back