LA vs. Magnum block

-

dust

B5PistolGrip.com
Reaction score
Okay, my machine shop screwed up my LA block so bad that they replaced it with a Magnum.

Problem is that I have all the parts I need to assembly my LA engine, everything for a LA engine (1977).

Will all my LA parts (rotating assy, valve train, timing cover, etc) just bolt up to a Magnum block?

The only issue is oiling the valve gear. The magnum block oils the rockers through the push rods, the LA oils through the block to the rocker shaft. The early magnum blocks still had the oil passage in the block that allowed oiling via the rocker shaft but late ones don't.

If your block doesn't have the oil passage then you can't use it with LA heads without additional machining.

I don't see a big deal on this!I think the reason they did that to you is=MONEY,MONEY,MONEY!!!:angry7:

The Magnum cannot replace the LA if you are running LA heads. At least, not without drilling the passages that run from the decks to the #4 cam bearing journal. (not an easy job...It's about 4" long, and you're aiming at a journal less than 1/2" accross, and a hole in the bearing less than 1/4" in diameter.A miss means top end oiling issues. It's cheaper for them to buy an LA block. 360s or 318s are NOT hard to find. I wouldnt accept that replacement myself. I think the Magnum uses a different rear main seal...the #5 main cap may be different. I am not sure about timing covers..but I think you're OK there. On the upside, you now have the provisions for a factory hydraulic roller cam. I would maybe work it so they buy the cam stuff and drill the holes....lol. Magnum blocks are cheaper than LAs at this point.

I have new everything, even LA Edelbrock heads. And a Racer Brown flat tappet camshaft.

Or I have to replace my heads and valvetrain?

btw: I it's a 408 stroker.

I don't see a big deal on this!I think the reason they did that to you is=MONEY,MONEY,MONEY!!!:angry7:
Yeah. That's probably it. They don't like me at SpeedOMotive as I've had them fix the shortblock they built 3 times before I even fired it off and now they had to replace the block all together.

Is this the hole? One on each side?

That would be it. One on each side. I've a question. For the oiling issue........... could you not oil the valve train through hollow pushrods and the applicable lifters, like Chevy's?

Pushrod oiling will take care of the rocker/pr interface point - I believe the problem is the oiling of the rocker shaft/rocker interface point on the LA heads.

Why did they replace it with a magnum block? If you have all the components for the LA and that's what you wanted I would stand my ground and ask for the LA block. There are quite a few obstacles to overcome swapping to the magnum block and it all equals more cash out of your pocket. Especially if you already have the cam, heads, and block components. Don't forget about the valve covers too if you go with magnum heads.

Pushrod oiling will take care of the rocker/pr interface point - I believe the problem is the oiling of the rocker shaft/rocker interface point on the LA heads.

These are the adjuster screws in mine. I believe they're meant for both applications.
w5heads009-1.jpg

w5heads008.jpg

Or an outside feedline..............?
http://www.shadydellspeedshop.com/img/INDY6.jpg

w5heads009-1.jpg

w5heads009-1.jpg

w5heads008.jpg

w5heads008.jpg

did you look at it or took there word for it.had a machine shop try that with me turned out they had a buyer for my block. so make sure, get your old block back

I have both style blocks and like MOPER said the #5 main is different, It does take different oil pans! I would return it and make them get you a block like you had.

The Magnum 318 uses a 360 style rear main cap. The 360 Magnum and LA blocks are close enough to exchange EXCEPT for the head oiling. You can not use LA heads on Magnum blocks without the oil passages being drilled. Regardless of the lifters and pushrods used. I was going to make a fixture to drill this passage at one time but I currently don't have the need.

On another note I can't imagine trusting anything this shop has done. I'd take everything apart and check it with a fine tooth comb.

Why did they replace it with a magnum block? If you have all the components for the LA and that's what you wanted I would stand my ground and ask for the LA block. There are quite a few obstacles to overcome swapping to the magnum block and it all equals more cash out of your pocket. Especially if you already have the cam, heads, and block components. Don't forget about the valve covers too if you go with magnum heads.

More than likely they either already had the magnum block or got it real cheap.

Stand your ground and demand an la block.If they say no hand them your lawyers card and walk out.

-
Back