La vs Magnum oil pans

-
Dart has a 318 in it/was from the factory.
The Magnum is from a 1999 Dakota RT.
Our issue is the rear of the oil pan has a smaller diameter for the rear than our original LA ...
The front seems to be the same

Yes, the truck pans are different.

Edit: duh, yeah gotta be a 360 pan. I did a really poor job at keeping records when I did my swap.

Oh, you also have the choice to keep the serpentine belt setup or put your 318 front end and keep the V-belts. I used the front end off my 273.

Oh, and and the Magnum has a short snout cam so you'll need to run an electric fuel pump...unless you get a cam snout extension from Hughes Engines. I have an electric pump now but already bought the extension just need to get a mechanical fuel pump and "while I'm there" a new water pump.

Last edited:
You need a 360LA car pan, pickup and dip stick.
I have a 97 5.9 in my 72 Dart.
1687348652847.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone swaped a late 360 Magnum into a 72 Dart??
I bolted several Magnums into my '68 Barracuda Convertible that originally had a S6.

I used an LA road race oil pan from Milidon with a matching pickup and steel braided dipstick line.

I used the two-piece Superformance gaskets with dollop of Ultra seal in the corners. I did have to hammer the oil pans ledge flat along the last inch or so of the curves of the oil pans. (See pictures.) I did have to notch the K-member slightly to fit the pan, and I added a Torque Rod strut to support the driver's side motor mount.

The deviation in the oil pan sealing lip near the corners of the circular oil pan cutouts is shown intact in these pictures. I used a small hammer and metal block to flatten the railing and remove the notches.

Prior to catching this oversight, I had a pretty good oil leak under throttle at road speed due to the difference in the lips on the oil pans between LA & Magnum.

Oil Pan Gaskets (Medium).JPG

oil pan kmember.jpg

Oil Pan pic (Medium).JPG

Oil Pan pic.JPG

I bolted several Magnums into my '68 Barracuda Convertible that originally had a S6.

I used an LA road race oil pan from Milidon with a matching pickup and steel braided dipstick line.

I used the two-piece Superformance gaskets with dollop of Ultra seal in the corners. I did have to hammer the oil pans ledge flat along the last inch or so of the curves of the oil pans. (See pictures.) I did have to notch the K-member slightly to fit the pan, and I added a Torque Rod strut to support the driver's side motor mount.

The deviation in the oil pan sealing lip near the corners of the circular oil pan cutouts is shown intact in these pictures. I used a small hammer and metal block to flatten the railing and remove the notches.

Prior to catching this oversight, I had a pretty good oil leak under throttle at road speed due to the difference in the lips on the oil pans between LA & Magnum.

View attachment 1716105060

View attachment 1716105061

View attachment 1716105062

View attachment 1716105063

I run the one piece Magnum gasket on my unmodified LA oil pan by filling in the notch with RTV. Been like that for several years and no issues.

I would prefer to modify the pan and not depend on a blob of RTV, but it was quick and easy so I went with it.

You can also carefully cut with a sharp utility blade the front seal ends (with the nubs) off and install them in the pans locating holes so as to fill the notches in the pan. Really easy to do just cut them to follow the pans contours. I use a thin coat of Ultra Black on the pan notch then pull the nubs through. No need to bash the oil pan at all. Then use a Magnum style one piece silicone gasket. I do, have been, and recently swapped out a Milodon pan for a Kevco pan using the same pan gasket. No leaks before no leaks now.

Sorry I am such a dumbass!!!
Thank you so much Moparmarks for the link!!
Come to Germany and I will buy you a good beer!!:thumbsup:

Greetings, Bob
No worries. I'd love to go to Germany as I'm part German myself. Fast cars and great dark beer. Real beer! :thumbsup:

You can also carefully cut with a sharp utility blade the front seal ends (with the nubs) off and install them in the pans locating holes so as to fill the notches in the pan. Really easy to do just cut them to follow the pans contours. I use a thin coat of Ultra Black on the pan notch then pull the nubs through. No need to bash the oil pan at all. Then use a Magnum style one piece silicone gasket. I do, have beeen, and recently swapped out a Milodon pan for a Kevco pan using the same pan gasket. No leaks before no leaks now.

Great solution!!

Great solution!!
Yup. I initially thought of hammering the Milodon pan as has been mentioned here in the past, decided no way, then using just rtv silicone, but then decided on trying the cut off ends. Works great.

Magnum 5.2l & 5.9l and LA 360 pans interchange. 273/318/340 take a different pan.

THANKS !!! for all the great replies,
I think 12many has the best solution for this problem.
As we are under VERY strict regulations on what we can and can't do to our vehicles here in Germany. Even a swap like this is verboten here.
So the major goal here is to make the swap look like it never happened. ( good thing the German inspectors have no clue )
Including our narrowed 9.75 LSD diff, and still keeping the 5x4 14" wheels.
We do take a boatload of pictures if anyone is interested I can post a link. And if you want to come visit and have a beer or 2 all are welcome.

Greetings, Bob

IMG_3532.JPG

-
Back