LA vs Magnum rods

-
Magnum left, 744 grams, LA right. 756 grams. your results may vary.
20221029_095258.jpg

What year did they start using the Magnum version ? Did the 88-92 transitional engines use them ?

IF you have a Magnum engine, with Magnum rods, ARE YOU suggesting that those components need to be turfed for, please explain, what reason?
Just have the LA rods narrowed on the small end. Any competent machine shop can do it. I'm not advocating one is better, as I don't know, I'm simply saying if all you HAVE are the LA rods they can be easily made to work.

I bought MP stroker pistons and guess what? Magnum width...OUCH! That's when I found this out. I guess the lack of a floater pin groove was the 2nd clue....

I bought MP stroker pistons and guess what? Magnum width...OUCH! That's when I found this out. I guess the lack of a floater pin groove was the 2nd clue....
Arrgh. Swap meet? Or custom? Can you return em? So they were full floating pins and the c clip Grove weren't cut?

No they were NOS STD 360/5.9 4.00 bore from a seller on Racingjunk, got them for pennies on the dollar as he was a Chevy guy and this was in a purchased storage locker so I pulled the trigger, I didnt even have a 360 or a stroker crank but you got to start somewhere! Of course they were circa 1992 IIRC and long out of production. No problem, they were only about 2mm short of fitting the LA rods so I just got creative and ground the LA rods I had on the one side that hit and went with that. Hot rodding......

-
Back