LA Windage Trays

-

65 Dartman

1 of None 65 Dart Sedan Delivery
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference between passenger mid sump oil pickup windage trays and truck windage trays where the pickup is in the back? If so anyone have any pics of the truck tray?

I don't believe there is a difference in the trays, just the sumps and pickups. I think I remember comparing a 360 passenger tray to my truck 360 tray and didn't see a difference. I could be wrong, don't take it for granted.

There are three different windage trays. Number one was used on the 340. Number two was used on the 360s. And number three works on both the bolt holes are egg-shaped or oval because the main cap bolts on the 318 and 340 are closer together than on the 360. As for a difference between a car windage tray and a Truck windage tray the only difference that I have seen were the designs for the 360 Bolt holes.

This is the shape of windage tray out of a 1987 360. I am not sure if there is any difference between automotive use, but this was out of a marine engine.

20240313_162411.jpg

There are three different windage trays. Number one was used on the 340. Number two was used on the 360s. And number three works on both the bolt holes are egg-shaped or oval because the main cap bolts on the 318 and 340 are closer together than on the 360. As for a difference between a car windage tray and a Truck windage tray the only difference that I have seen were the designs for the 360 Bolt holes.
I have searched for a 360 specific windage tray and it always shows 318,340,360. Do you or someone else have a actual part number for the windage tray for just the 360? Unfortunately, scrap yards here in Missouri are not like they were back in the day.

This is the shape of windage tray out of a 1987 360. I am not sure if there is any difference between automotive use, but this was out of a marine engine.

View attachment 1716222058
that looks interesting...

i wanna say that all the car ones i've seen don't have the points or tangs on the ends, just straight across. need to pull down the ones i have in storage...

It is fairly substantial for a windage tray. I want to say it is about twice the thickness of the automotive ones I have seen.

I have searched for a 360 specific windage tray and it always shows 318,340,360. Do you or someone else have a actual part number for the windage tray for just the 360? Unfortunately, scrap yards here in Missouri are not like they were back in the day.

They came on mid 70's HP 360's. Then some bright Engineer figured they could use the slots and the windage tray would fit all the small blocks.

When I swapped a truck 360 int my A barracuda, it was just a pan and pick up change. Never touched the windage tray.

What year (s) does the truck 360 have a windage tray?
factory roller motors had one 360, not 318*
police motors have them (both 318 & 360)
360 EH1 code motors have them so that's a bunch of 76~ 360 4bbls motors
360 E58 motors-- cop motors, but not always found in cop cars or sedans
318 E48 318 cop motor (*318 police rollers got one)
A38 (i think) fender tag would indicate "severe duty" or "fleet" so that *might* get one.

a lot of truck 360's got them, but they'd be 4bbl units. so pretty much any year is a possibility. without a fender tag, and because these things are all 50+ and anything can happen it's kind of a crap shoot as to what you might get.

the best way to verify is just to drop the pan real quick. the engine production numbers (on in the front of the block under the head) will tell you, but other than that there is not a quick external visual that will indicate a HP/SD motor with a windage tray.

so basically anything from 73~90(ish) with a 4bbl could have one.

-
Back