Ladder bars or Caltracs?

-

moparman440

Reaction score
I am building a 73 Scamp street/strip car. It will be running a low deck stroker pushing 600 horse and will be running a 200hp shot of nitrous. 727 with t/brake. I just got my strange 60 with 4.10 gears and a detroit. I am running 325/50/15 (probably should have gone 315/60/15) ET Streets on 15x10 prostars. Just finished my 2x3 frame connectors which I ran inside the rear subfame and did a mini tub to the framerail . Will be installing a 12 point cage. Now for the life of me I cant decide between Alston Pro Street ladder bars and coil overs or the mono's and caltracs!! I am looking for people that have first hand expierience with either system. The car will be driven on the street quite a bit. But i'm still looking to run low 10's or even high 9's at the track assuming I can hook. Any input would be appreciated!

I myself have not had ethier system, however, first hand I have seen my freind run 9.40's with super stock springs and a pinion snubber in a 69 Dart all steel and a 500 inch engine.

I've thought about the SS springs but I am trying to keep a lower stance. Also I have heard that they ride pretty rough on the street?

They all settle down some after awhile. The Cal-Tracs ride alot lower though.
I don't have an issue with my S/S springs and ruff rideing.

I have stock springs and Ladder bars on my car and i dont have any problem driving it on the street and it runs 11.70's

TVRP5-23-09034.jpg

Well this is just my opinion. By the time you get to the low 10s/ high, 9s along with a 12 point cage……. You need to get what works and not worry about how street car friendly it is.

Like was said above….. Many people at that level don't even conceder the very competent set up of SS springs and a snubber. I really don't understand this. This set up has proven over decades of racing to both hook and be reliable.

Ladders and mono cal tracks aren't street friendly, neither are SS springs. The cal track mono's have a pretty short life span. Ladders are flat rough riding. New SS springs are known to wear out quickly as well.

In terms of what works best, it's ladders, mono/track, ss springs.

Shocks on the ladder bar set up will make a huge difference. Same with Cal tracks or SS springs. Shocks are really important.

Personally, I wouldn't run SS springs on a radio flyer wagon. Seen too many cars, pull them out, install call tracks and run better. I use Cal tracks and old worn out stock leaf springs when running leafs. No huge pinion angle setting to deal with after tossing the SS springs.

Look at what works... if you want confirmation, walk through the stock eliminator pits at a national event and check what is under those cars. I doubt you'll find many, if any, that are running SS springs.

Everything is a compromise at the level you are headed when trying the street/strip viability. I'd prefer track performance to street comfort.

I am more than willing to sacrifice street manners for track performance. I can deal with a hard riding suspension as long as it hooks good. I've just heard stories of people running ladders and breaking or bending parts due to suspension bind on the street. I've always ran just leafs so I dont know what to expect with either one.

I have a few buddys that run in the low 10's with 'em. They do ride harsh, I hear about guys putting rubber hose over the Bolt in the front hanger that puts load onto the springs. Or you can back off the preload when you are on the streets... Thats where I would start.

JOE

Ladders and mono cal tracks aren't street friendly, neither are SS springs. The cal track mono's have a pretty short life span. Ladders are flat rough riding. New SS springs are known to wear out quickly as well.

In terms of what works best, it's ladders, mono/track, ss springs.

Shocks on the ladder bar set up will make a huge difference. Same with Cal tracks or SS springs. Shocks are really important.

Personally, I wouldn't run SS springs on a radio flyer wagon. Seen too many cars, pull them out, install call tracks and run better. I use Cal tracks and old worn out stock leaf springs when running leafs. No huge pinion angle setting to deal with after tossing the SS springs.

Look at what works... if you want confirmation, walk through the stock eliminator pits at a national event and check what is under those cars. I doubt you'll find many, if any, that are running SS springs.

Everything is a compromise at the level you are headed when trying the street/strip viability. I'd prefer track performance to street comfort.

I agree. If you look at the stockers most all of them have the cal trac set up one way or the other. I drive a Nova occasionally for a friend of mine with the Cal Tracs and it runs 1.30s in the sixty foot and runs high nines on a 9 inch tire. I have had it on the bumper a few times. I am sold on them. Ladder bars on the other hand work good too. For example I built a Vega for a friend and we used ladder bars for economy reasons. It just ran 8.80s at 165 mph a few weeks ago on a 26x8 M/T slick! My point is they both are suitable, I think where some people get lost is that most of your cars abilities are in weight distribution and how well the front suspension is set up. A total system approach.

-
Back